Multiple issues on Windows 7 Ultimate

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been procrastinating. I can happily report that my computer is booting up much faster now though. It still isn't as fast as it should be, but it's less than 5 minutes now.

Google Chrome is running on it again and so is GIMP. So, the troubleshooting stuff did help with the functioning and it isn't lagging as much as it used to.

I have a friend who is supposed to help me with the hard drive installation (I am rather uncoordinated and have accidentally broken wires inside computers while trying to move things). He knows where everything plugs in. I can probably figure it out myself though, but I've been lazy and my computer case is huge and heavy. (plus, I'm really really bad about procrastinating).

Yeah, and I'm still recovering from cleaning the hallway. From looking at it, you wouldn't think it was much, but it took hours and I'm a wimp. LOL. Had to move a bunch of boxes, clean up misc crap (literally crap in some places bc the litterboxes got knocked over by my brother's hyper puppy), and sweep the carpet with a broom and bissel sweeper to get the hair up. I still need to vacuum.

I need to remind myself to put the new hard drive in.

So, my mother ordered a new computer for my birthday since there was a sale at CyberpowerPC to have pretty much half off. RAM was doubled for free, got to double the memory on the vid card, and a few other things. I went with a case that doesn't have a power button on top (because cats step on it). It was less expensive than the case that came with the default build.

Freebies with the order: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable RGB LED Lighting, HyperX Cloud Drone Gaming Headset, TP-LINK 802.11AC Archer T2U AC600 Wireless Dual Band 2.4GHz 150Mbps/5Ghz 433Mbps USB Adapter, CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad, Standard SLI/Crossfire Bridge.

CASE: Apevia X-Cruiser 3 w/ USB 3.0, Temperature & Fan Control, Side Panel Window (Silver Color with Blue LED) - default case fans
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
Liquid Cooling: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (All Venom OC Certified)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Video Card [VR Ready] (Single Card)
Power Supply: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
Optical Drive: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR) my current computer has 2 DVD drives so I can re-use one of those in the new one to have 2 drives
Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY (only option was windows 10 but I'm going to use Windows 7 OEM).
Service: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

I have installed/reinstalled OS, updated drivers, flashed BIOS, installed video cards, hard drives, power supplies, RAM, CMOS battery, etc in computers before so I can do some of my own tech support.
I plan to put the OS on the new 1TB drive and have my files on the 3TB drive that I still have in a box. Because it takes time to build and there was an issue with the billing (since I can't get USPS delivery to my house and Fedex/UPS don't delivery to post office box), I probably won't get it until next month.

I am curious about the liquid cooling. I've always had fan cooling so I'm not familiar with it. Will I have to do any maintenance on that?

Last edited:
You will probably have to flush the radiator every 30,000 miles. :D

LOL! I think I'll ask my sister since I think she's had a PC with liquid cooling before (I accidentally typed "cooking" the first time). And I just had total brainfreeze...

I have at least one spare fan to put in if need be.

The case looks pretty neat.

silblu_400.png

If you buy a closed loop you don't need to refill the coolant or add anything else. That has all been done in the factory before you got it.
If it says "No Refilling Needed", then you will not need to refill or clean out the cooler.

If you buy a closed loop you don't need to refill the coolant or add anything else. That has all been done in the factory before you got it.
If it says "No Refilling Needed", then you will not need to refill or clean out the cooler.

Oh good. It's closed loop. It's this one: Asetek 550LC. Apparently it is the OEM version of the Corsair cooler that was more expensive. Asetek makes it and then Corsair puts their name on it and has a warranty.

So, my mother ordered a new computer for my birthday since there was a sale at CyberpowerPC to have pretty much half off. RAM was doubled for free, got to double the memory on the vid card, and a few other things. I went with a case that doesn't have a power button on top (because cats step on it). It was less expensive than the case that came with the default build.

Freebies with the order: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable RGB LED Lighting, HyperX Cloud Drone Gaming Headset, TP-LINK 802.11AC Archer T2U AC600 Wireless Dual Band 2.4GHz 150Mbps/5Ghz 433Mbps USB Adapter, CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad, Standard SLI/Crossfire Bridge.

CASE: Apevia X-Cruiser 3 w/ USB 3.0, Temperature & Fan Control, Side Panel Window (Silver Color with Blue LED) - default case fans
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
Liquid Cooling: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (All Venom OC Certified)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 Video Card [VR Ready] (Single Card)
Power Supply: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
Optical Drive: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR) my current computer has 2 DVD drives so I can re-use one of those in the new one to have 2 drives
Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY (only option was windows 10 but I'm going to use Windows 7 OEM).
Service: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

I have installed/reinstalled OS, updated drivers, flashed BIOS, installed video cards, hard drives, power supplies, RAM, CMOS battery, etc in computers before so I can do some of my own tech support.
I plan to put the OS on the new 1TB drive and have my files on the 3TB drive that I still have in a box. Because it takes time to build and there was an issue with the billing (since I can't get USPS delivery to my house and Fedex/UPS don't delivery to post office box), I probably won't get it until next month.

I am curious about the liquid cooling. I've always had fan cooling so I'm not familiar with it. Will I have to do any maintenance on that?
How much was the Windows 7oem and where did you buy it?

How much was the Windows 7oem and where did you buy it?

It was years ago so I don't remember the price but I think we got it from Amazon. I don't see Ultimate for sale on Amazon now, but they have the pro and premium versions. Not sure on the difference. Prices for 64-bit seem to vary from $108 to $130 or so. I had gotten Ultimate because I wanted to have a dual OS where I could boot up in XP mode to use Photoshop 7.0 but the person who fixed up my computer didn't know how to get that to work. So, I'm switching to GIMP instead of Photoshop.

So, I FINALLY got around to migrating over to the new PC. Cleaned off the cat hair as best as I could and took it over to a friend. Old one was given to another friend so he took my drives out to put in the new one and put her HD in my old one.

Good thing my friend was working on it because the folks at CyberpowerPC didn't hook things up properly at all. My friend had to disconnect everything and then hook it up properly.

Now it boots up fast and I can run two instances of World of Warcraft at the same time so I can use 2 accounts to group with myself. If I get a second monitor, I'll be able to see both screens at the same time.

I had one little problem when I brought it home to hook it up. My monitor is VGA/DVI only and the video card is HDMI only. Had to borrow a monitor that has an HDMI port while I'm waiting for the new cord to arrive. I was a bit bummed because my state now forces Amazon to charge tax and my area's sales tax is 11%. But, none of the stores in my area even carried the HDMI to DVI cable.

Got the new HDMI cable! Woohoo!
And my old PC had an issue where it would crash if the network card was hooked up, but I used a little driver backup program to save all of my drivers to a thumb drive (along with the backup program) and ran it on the old PC when she set it up with the new hard drive and windows 10. Seems that 10 is backwards compatible, so I ran the program and had it restore the driver for just the network card and it is working now.

I know she'll eventually need to replace the hardware since that PC was put together in 2008, but she didn't have a desktop at all so she's happy-- plus it was free so she's not going to complain.

So, on this new computer I can simultaneously run Firefox with 30 tabs open, GIMP (similar to Photoshop), Gomplayer, Windows Media Player, MS Paint, Sims 4, PowerDVD, and 2 windows of World of Warcraft all without any problems.

I tend to multi-task on the computer. I have max settings on Sims 4 and World of Warcraft and its nice and fast. My old PC kept lagging and would take a long time to load stuff.

I love this new build!

WTH is Worlds of Warcraft?

I must be friggin old. Turn off that box and go outside and play cowboys and Indians! :rolleyes:

LOL. But then my cow wants to play too and she thinks that charging at me and swinging her horns is fun.

World of Warcraft is a mass multiplayer online game (mmorpg). My sister got me playing it years ago. I've been playing it for 11 or 12 years now.

My father used to play flight simulators and stuff and he didn't understand why we liked WoW until he had a back injury and couldn't go out and do stuff. So he sat down at the computer and played my brother's character for a few minutes and enjoyed it. His main character was a hunter. He said he found it so funny that he could shoot monsters in the back while they were trying to run away.
Until the latest expansion pack, I preferred playing a druid because I could transform into a cat creature and sneak up on things and bite them on the behind. Probably makes no sense to people who don't play the games. lol.

Latest posts

Back