My bathroom floor project

Discussion in 'General Flooring Discussion' started by zannej, Jun 27, 2014.

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating:

1. Jul 29, 2014 #21

Nick

Nick

Nick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Pro

How wide is it E , I have to put new cove in my bath , and the tub has a design at the bottom . Was going to scribe the back , and contact that area .

zannej likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2014 #22

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

Sorry, was down near the border with a weak signal.
    About an inch, five foot lengths. Looks like cove stick shape.

zannej likes this.
  3. Jul 29, 2014 #23

Nick

Nick

Nick

Thanks , I need 4" cove . good to know though.

zannej likes this.
  4. Jul 30, 2014 #24

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

Ok. so cove molding. I actually have some strips of it that I was planning to put in some of the corners in my bathroom. The piece of wood jutting out from under the tub is thicker than the cove molding that I have though. I'm afraid to try to chisel it bc I might damage the tub.
    I think the strip of wood is at least an inch thick. If it weren't for that protrusion and the design on the side of the tub I was thinking of using the baseboard stuff that has adhesive on the back.

5. Jul 30, 2014 #25

havasu

havasu

havasu

Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter Pro

In front of the tub, I'd run down to either Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a 6' "L" shaped molding. These moldings are built with styrofoam so water will not hurt them. Then glue it down with a waterproof caulking.

6. Jul 30, 2014 #26

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

7. Jul 30, 2014 #27

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

Thanks. I'll have to see if they have pictures of it so I can see what it looks like. I wonder if any of the local stores sell that, or something similar.

I apologize if this posts multiple times but when I click Submit Reply it keeps telling me the "webpage is not available".

8. Aug 28, 2014 #28

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

Ok, the bag I have 50lb bag that covers 50sqft at 1/8" (3mm) thickness and I need to cover a 10sqft (5' x 2') area but it will probably need to be thicker than 1/8" to cover up the previous mess. If I only wanted that thickness I would more or less need about 10lbs of the powder from the bag and then figure out how much water it needs... 6-1/2qts of water for 50lbs of powder...

I know that just using 10lbs of powder would be cutting it close and might not give me enough coverage. I mean, I could mix more if need be.. But I need to figure out how many qts of water. This is where I regret having gone to Louisiana public school for a critical point in math development...

So, 10lbs is 1/5th of the 50lbs which is 20%.. so I need to find 20% of the 6.5qts.. which is 1.3?

Does that sound about right? 10lbs powder and 1.3qts (5.2 cups) of water?

So, things I still need to figure out:
    *Just how much extra should I make in case it doesn't cover?
    *Should I just go with 2 separate batches in case the first layer doesn't cover it?
    *What should I use to seal the edges and places where I don't want the stuff to go?

Any tips or suggestions?

9. Mar 4, 2019 #29

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

I waited too long & the cats clawed up the bag & it's hard as a rock. My procrastination bit me in the keester again.

But, I'm trying to keep motivated & actually do stuff. I'm thinking of getting a cheap angle grinder to try to grind down the highest spots & try to smooth things out & go over it all with Henry 345 patch level. I will have to level it myself & I won't purchase until I'm actually ready to use it right away. I know it won't be perfect but it will be better than horrible sharp bumpy floor. I'll do it in thin layers & stick the dehumidifier in there to help it dry faster.

Harbor Freight currently has some angle grinders on sale and I'm wondering how many amps I would need to get the job done. Page 11 of their sale ad: http://flyer.harborfreight.com/april-2019-ad/page/11
    They have a 4.3amp for about $15, a 5 amp for about $18, a 6amp for $30 (says its "heavy duty" and has paddle switch-- whatever that is), etc.

Any recommendations?

10. Mar 4, 2019 #30

Nick

Nick

Nick

I wouldn't buy any of their tools .. All junk..

zannej likes this.
  11. Mar 5, 2019 #31

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

One job tools. But in your case you might not want to spend several hundred bucks. You will still need a diamond cup wheel.

zannej likes this.
  12. Mar 5, 2019 #32

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

Nick, I generally wouldn't buy much from them anymore bc their stuff is junk but I'm not planning to use it on anything else. I'm wondering if $30 is too much to spend for one time use. I was going to ask what type of wheel I would need but you answered for me. The wheels are more expensive than the tool. LOL!

13. Mar 5, 2019 #33

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

You can rent one from HD.

Nick and zannej like this.
  14. Mar 5, 2019 #34

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

The amount of $ it would cost in gas to go there and back plus the rental fee would be more than the cost of just buying the tool & wheel from HF.

15. Mar 5, 2019 #35

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Cement type materials don't want speed drying. Air movement is OK, but you aren't supposed to put a fan on the floor patch to dry it.
    Any other places like home centers withing reach? Angle grinders aren't all that spendy at those places. I can buy a Porter Cable angle grinder at Bi-Mart (an Oregon/Northwest chain store) for about $30

zannej likes this.
  16. Mar 5, 2019 #36

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Depending on how hard that Henry product is , and how much material needs to be removed, there are large grit reinforced carbide papers that might work for you and they are pretty cheap. I'm talking about 36 or 50 grit paper. The more that it looks like a gravel road, the better it will work.
    If you are just removing small ridges and lumps that might work for you. If you have a one foot diameter round area that needs 1/4 inch of material removed those might not work well. If you fast dried the Henry product it may be softer than it's supposed to be.
    ..........and it gonna get extremely dusty even with a second person holding a shop vac next to the grinder.

zannej likes this.
  17. Mar 5, 2019 #37

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

There is a Tractor Supply in town but it has crap for inventory & no angle grinders (I looked). No other stores in town sell them.

There's an HD, Lowes, Sutherlands, and Harbor Freight an hour away.

Lowes has a Porter Cable 7-amp grinder for $40 but I don't see a matching diamond cup wheel in stock.
    HD has a Ryobi 5.5-amp grinder for $30 but, again, I don't see matching wheels.

Would a dehumidifier be too much like a fan? It basically just sucks the moisture out of the air while sitting in the middle of the room. It gets a LOT of moisture bc of the humidity here. I tried the coarsest sandpaper I could find & it shredded on the sharp bumps. I have to take off more than 1/4" in some areas.

I'm guessing the angle grinders can't be used on wet surfaces or around water-- electrical hazard. I'll have to wear a dust mask & eye protection for sure & maybe have a damp rag handy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  18. Mar 6, 2019 #38

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Absolutely eye protection and dust mask. Dehumidifier will be OK. They don't remove moisture all that fast.

zannej likes this.
  19. Mar 6, 2019 #39

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

which grinder do you think would be better? We ended up not going to the store & will go another day. Hopefully my hand will heal by the time we get a grinder. I want to get this done asap.