My bathroom floor project

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The additive is something you add to the mix instead of water. It makes the filler bond to the vinyl flooring much better then plain water. That concoction is generally used to fill in grout lines in embossed vinyl flooring. The additive mixture can also be used as a final coat on a situation like you have. Mixed that way, it's designed as a skim coat. Skim coats are not applied heavy. It's a thin slurry that can easily be troweled really thin. When used an a vinyl embossing leveler, you can still see some of the vinyl flooring color through it. Skim coating on a new plywood floor isn't much thicker than that. It's a skim coat, and there's no reason to apply it thick unless you have issues with heights between two or more surfaces. I'm speaking of ramping a transition from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
Now if all that flooring was relatively flat to start with, you would only want a thin skim coat barely covers the plywood. You'd just be filling in nail or screw holes and blending minor differences where plywood seams meet.
Long story short........ if all the plywood in the bathroom was the same thickness and there were no major issues with height differences between any of those panels, then you shouldn't have built up 1/8 of an inch of floor patch anywhere. I can't see from the photos if there are any height differences between sheets of plywood.

OK, the lump problems. I got lumps today in two bags of Ardex Feather finish. No big deal because it was leveling out a transition in an addition to the upstairs of a house. Covered with pad and carpet, I needed a flat surface, not a pretty surface like required for vinyl flooring.

I paid $10 for three 25# bags of another brand of a similar patch. That was an 80% savings. Cheap because the bags were "stiff" Lots of lumps in the bags because they were old.
I dropped the bags on the floor hard to shake them a bit. Once home, I cut the bags open one at a time. I sifted the filler into 5 gallon buckets using some fine window screen material. The lumps stayed above the screen and were thrown away. The fine powder that easily sifted through was saved in heavy duty garbage bags so moisture couldn't get to them. That stuff mixed up smoother than any filler I ever used. Zero lumps. I used that old filler for non important jobs or mixed it 50/50 with new bags of filler. Love to make a score like that again.

I believe one of the effects of the additive was to speed up the drying time. I vaguely recall that being on the list of things it did. It got so messed up because the guy at Lowes said to just pour it & it would level itself bc he was thinking of the wrong product. Didn't notice the chunks until it was already in the water & didn't have a sifter. Since it was my first time messing with it, I didn't know what it was supposed to look like or what to expect. But, this time I know & I will make sure to crush up any lumps.

The difference in height between the plywood & luan is small, but it would have been enough to have transferred through sheet vinyl. It's mostly gone now bc of the patch, but I still want to smooth it out more & make it flat.

I believe one of the effects of the additive was to speed up the drying time. I vaguely recall that being on the list of things it did. It got so messed up because the guy at Lowes said to just pour it & it would level itself bc he was thinking of the wrong product. Didn't notice the chunks until it was already in the water & didn't have a sifter. Since it was my first time messing with it, I didn't know what it was supposed to look like or what to expect. But, this time I know & I will make sure to crush up any lumps.

The difference in height between the plywood & luan is small, but it would have been enough to have transferred through sheet vinyl. It's mostly gone now bc of the patch, but I still want to smooth it out more & make it flat.
Additive makes it stick better. Not intended for deep fills using the additive.
You are trying to coat the floor without building up any real thickness. You're just filling nail or staple holes and blending plywood seams with a skim coat and not much more than that. Use the additive when doing this and mix it thinner than you would mix when doing a deep fill. It's gonna take more than one coat, so scrape ridges and vacuum between coats. Tack cloth is overboard.
You're going to be doing more then one coat for sure. One will just smooth out the filler that's already there. A second coat will blend it all a lot better. A third coat might be needed. You're going to use the additive for this and mix it thin so it spreads easily. Mix it well so it's a creamy smooth consistency.

I don't even have the additive this time around. I don't think they have it in stock anymore. I'll have to look up what additive it uses. It certainly didn't seem to make the last batch any thinner. That stuff was awful, but mostly bc of the huge lumps. Didn't help that the lights weren't working & we ran out of daylight. If you think the additive would be better to use than water, I could look for it.

Ah. I found the additive on HD's site & it comes in two different sizes- 1qt and 1gal. It says it improves fluidity & reduces drying time. There was a question on HD's website on the 1-gallon size that said the mixing ratio was "Mix 2 2 parts Henry 547 to 1 part of Henry 546" (direct quote from the answer). I don't know what they mean by "part" though. And no specific size of Henry 547 was specified, although HD carries it in three sizes: 3lbs, 7lbs, & 25lbs. Lowes does not carry it at all but HD doesn't have any in stock. I would have to order it & wait.

"3lbs, 7lbs, & 25lbs." Never have I seen 3 or 7 lb bags of anything.
I don't recall which one of those Products says Feather Finish. Flooring guys don't shop at the box stores, so the names are not always something we are familiar with.

We know Henry pretty well but they and everyone else have gone through so many changes and acquisitions it's hard to keep up with what they make. Henry, Ardex, Mapaiei, Webctrete....... there are a lot of names out there. I'd stay away Easycrete or builders store products. Flooring levelers or coatings need to be bough from places that understand flooring. Stay away from self levelers or any products that has a long "ready to install" time. Lot of makers of self leveling products. Being cement in base, they all pretty much subscribe to the well known "28 day cure time"
Cure time, hardening time and "dry time" are not the same. Brand "X" self leveling concrete mix may harden in 6 hours and cure in 28 days.
If this was a true floor covering filler it may actually be ready for installation in 4 to 16 hours.
Whenever looking for fillers, specify flooring or floor covering and find products designed for this purpose.

I'll add, that true, skim coats should be ready for floor covering in 1 to 3 hours. Deeper fills will take longer. You need to smooth out your rough spots first and then do a couple of finish coats.

Last edited:
Part, meaning 2 parts filler to 2 parts water or additive. 50/50 ratio
Two to one means two parts filler to one part water or admix. It's a unit of volume, not weight.
Part means ounces, pounds, gallons, quarts, ............units or whatever.

Last edited:
Thanks, Highup. I think I will see how water does & if I don't like how it's spreading, I'll scrap it and see if I can find a suitable additive.
I was surprised there used to be a 3lb bag of the Henry 345 feather finish. I'm guessing it was for very light patching.
I'm looking at stuff specifically for flooring. I have the 347 (10lb mix). I just need to figure out the measurement units they use. I'll have to get a magnifying glass to read the instructions. My vision has gotten a lot worse the past couple of years.

I'll transcribe the instructions here when I read them. I should be getting to sleep now though.

Get the Mapaiei .. If the stuff starts to harden on you while you are flashing , Just dip the trial in water you will be able to smooth it out ..
Get the Milk for it to ..

Nick, I already bought the Henry 547. I think the main problem w/ it last time was the huge lumps. But I have a sieve & separate measuring buckets this time. That stuff is not going in to the water until I'm sure it has no lumps. The 547 is basically the ardex feather finish from what I can tell. I'd use the additive if they had it in stock, but they don't & I want to get moving on this. I don't trust them to not spill it or bust it open or send me expired stuff if I order it online (or for them to not lose it). W/ my luck they'd lose it, then find it but it would be spilled & half gone.

Latest posts

Back