My side job/Project

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what setup he's got on those heads. Kinda looks like studs, but hard to tell. They stopped using the studs in the middle 40's and went to bolts. Have to assume it was progress??? Certainly easier to work on.
Head studs offer a lot stronger clamping force if you are running high compression like with a blower. They aren't the cheap way to go.
On my old '73, the head studs are tightened to 83lbs. Bolts are 65 lbs. In other words, you won't blow a gasket using studs. I bought studs to correct a head issue................ not because I was running a blower.

Darol, you think you could find a vehicle those heads would fit in this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/othe...egas/ar-AAavrny?ocid=U305DHP#image=AAavjUU|40

Yep, them's some nice old ride's Daris. In my teen days I had 2 55's, a 56 and a 57 Chevy. Didn't have money for the body work, but I did have some nice soupy motors in them. Small block Chevy's are hard to beat and you can get quite a bit of power out of them for the size. I never made it past a 292, which was a 283 bored out with a Brown roller cam, rev kit, pinned studs and anodized rockers. It would scoot. I was beating some Camaro's in 67-68. My dream has always been to have another 55 and do it like I wanted to back then, but couldn't afford it. Unfortunately, I can't afford it now either with the crazy cost of things, not counting what a decent 55 would cost now.:rolleyes: So....it'll just have to be another one of my unfulfilled dreams I guess.

Head studs offer a lot stronger clamping force if you are running high compression like with a blower. They aren't the cheap way to go.
On my old '73, the head studs are tightened to 83lbs. Bolts are 65 lbs. In other words, you won't blow a gasket using studs. I bought studs to correct a head issue................ not because I was running a blower.

Studs are better, but this go round, bolts will do just fine. I doubt I'll ever get to the blower stage. Don't know what I'd do with that much power any way except get my ass in trouble. Sure would be fun though.:D

Check this one out. They've ran the exhaust out buy the intake. It's amazing what you can do with these old motors. Also, check out the double plugs and a turbo on the front. Lot's and lot's of mooooney!

Here's the caption with it.

The pinnacle of flathead tech, this Dick Landy-built 700-plus-horsepower motor powered Ron Main's 3,100-pound Flatfire streamliner to over 300 mph at Bonneville. The 6.8:1 301 uses modified Baron heads with two plugs per cylinder and reversed intake and exhaust ports. It's fed by an intercooled Vortech V-1 T-trim centrifugal blower. Fuel and air management is by MoTeC, with spark provided by eight Cobra R coils.

hdrp-0511-03-z+flat-head-performance-guide+salt-flats-engine.jpg

Last edited:
Two good reasons to share. #1. We're your friends. #2. We're old people. You DO want to help old people, don't you?:)

I'll have to drive up there and see if he's driving a new low ride truck Nick.:)
Will 100 million be enough to buy Brookings? I could change it into a retirement community for old worn out flooring installers. Free boat rentals and electric scooters for everyone. :D

Latest posts

Back