Nailing or stapling

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I don't do any nail down wood, but a customers friend would like me to come out and 'look' at their job. It's and old home and they had some damage over the winter while they were at their other home in another state. Some of the flooring is being replaced.
The floor is partially completed and I guess it's not up to par.
I think the floor is 3/4 inch fir and I was just curious how far apart the fasteners are supposed to be. I don't know how wide the boards are either. I guess the home is old enough that the subfloor might not even be plywood.............. I really won't know more till I see the place.

Right now I'm just planning to take a peek and maybe determine how far apart the fasteners are just to see if that part of the installation was done right. I don't know how far apart they are supposed to be.............. so that's all the info I need for now.

Your gonna need to take lots of pictures if ya want the guys to give you advice on this on High. Talking from experience:p
I don't know if I even have any film. :D
I'm not going to be doing any work at the place............. just takin a look see for a friend. Customer needs a pat on the back and to let em know it will all be fine......even if it all has to be ripped up and started over. :eek:

There are different nailing patterns for different width boards Hi .
Take a strong magnet with you . Preferably a round one and roll it down the grooves . put a penny where it stops . do a few rows across the width . you can now measure in between the penny's and write down the distance .

There are different nailing patterns for different width boards Hi .
Take a strong magnet with you . Preferably a round one and roll it down the grooves . put a penny where it stops . do a few rows across the width . you can now measure in between the penny's and write down the distance .

You been hangin around Selva? :D
Those magnets are cool. I started using them after Selva showed an inspection photo many, many moons ago.

Here, a guy installed an overlapping trim edge when he installed a new engineered wood floor.
Customer didn't like the additional height of the trim piece, so they asked me to come up with a fix.
I used those neato little magnets to find the staples so I wouldn't hit em with my router as I trimmed back the wood to make a header.
Love them little magnets.
(never mind that carpet edge. The wood installer whacked it back too far even tho new carpet was eventually going to be replaced)

034_33 Crow transition mod  magnets detecting staples 800.jpg

037_36 Crow new flush transition 800.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back