National Tradesman Day

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Sept. 21 is National Tradesman Day. It is to honor all people who work at a trade. Flooring Installers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, etc.

Even if for argument sake all mills and all stores were like you say that still wouldn't come close to most people. And certainly none of the people that count.

Probably a joke for us. Most people don't consider flooring installers as tradesmen. We have always been disrespected.

Mentioned today to an interior designer who was telling us we might have to wait while the plumber and cabinet maker does their stuff
I told her to look in the local paper and just see who is advertising for work.
Everybody is paying the paper to place ads looking for work EXCEPT linolayers
So who is more important?
The linolayers are busy enough without advertising :)
It took a little while for her to understand what I meant
We are carrying on and the other trades are going to finish when we have finished

It took a little while for her to understand what I meant

You had me going at first. I thought you were telling her that you had things to keep you busy while they readied the project. Did she appreciate your facetiousness?

You had me going at first. I thought you were telling her that you had things to keep you busy while they readied the project. Did she appreciate your facetiousness?

Place was empty of other trades today
It anoys me that you are only the lino layer You can wait. They don't tell that to any other trade thats why I tell them to see who is looking for work and who isn't. We important
Just out of kicks you have a look at who is advertising in your local paper.
There will be lots of builders, painters, electricans, carpet layers, carpet cleaners and maybe one lino layer

Yup, last persons I want on my floor are cabinet guys and plumbers. Unless it is tile.

Place was empty of other trades today
It anoys me that you are only the lino layer You can wait. They don't tell that to any other trade thats why I tell them to see who is looking for work and who isn't. We important
Just out of kicks you have a look at who is advertising in your local paper.
There will be lots of builders, painters, electricans, carpet layers, carpet cleaners and maybe one lino layer

In California, Texas, Florida and everything in between along the border there's no shortage of..............ANY tradesmen.

If "lino" installers don't advertise here, and elsewhere the immigrant labor pool has over run it's because there's not enough money in an installation for "them" to afford an advertisement in the Penny Saver, let alone the San Gabriel Tribune or the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.pennysaverusa.com/classifieds/usa/index.html

I'm talking strictly about the residential market. I've never in my life seen any advertisement in a newspaper, TV, billboards or elsewhere for commercial flooring installation.

Jon said:
So who is more important?

I don't think it is who but rather- what. Someone is responsible to deliver a defect free project. Usually this is the project manager, or in this case the interior designer. If the finish trades are scheduled ahead of the rough trades someone has to go through the time and expense of protecting the finished product. So, it is the project that is the most important, not any one trade over the other. It seems reasonable and if linolayers have people waiting for their services I would think one of them would be more than happy to be moved up while this job is readied. Do floor guys have an inferiority complex?

I was responding to Rustys post

"Most people don't consider flooring installers as tradesmen. We have always been disrespected. "

On this job the interior designer told us the date we were to lay the vinyl to fit in with the other trades then we are told we can wait. Why were the other trades told you have to finish by this date as the flooring is going down. I was there on Saturday and the only person there. If the other trades hadn't finished why weren't they there on Saturday? Maybe they will not work Saturdays even though they are late finishing their part of the contract.
But it was suggest that the lino layer would work on Sunday so the contract would be finished on time
This is the type of thing I am trying to get across with my comments we can wait.
On the other side of the coin if we told the interior designer that we have been held up on another job because we had to wait and we will get there when we can. There would be hell to pay as we would be told we had you booked.
Where is the respect now?

Sounds like someone along the line is inviting and tolerating that kind of treatment. If there's a lack of respect of the trade it stems from a lack of self-respect.

Latest posts

Back