Need Direction on Direction

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJAllen

We are prepping to lay down new tongue and groove strand bamboo flooring in our entire 1st floor. The direction we lay it is an issue.

Standard wisdom is to lay the floor perpendicular to the joists, which in our house means side-to-side. Joists run front-to-back. I'm worried this is going to look strange walking in the front door and seeing the flooring run from right-to-left. It would look much better aesthetically to run the flooring from the front of the house to the back, but that would put it parallel to the joists. I understand the risk is sagging between the joists (16 on center) and separation between the planks if that happens.

Is there anything I can do (blocking between joists under the house is out of the question) that would allow me to run the boards parallel to the joists without sacrificing structural integrity?

Also, am I overreacting to the visual impact of coming in the front door and having the planks run side-to-side?

*I've included a picture of what the house looks like from the front door as you walk in. We've taken a wall out and are in mid-process of finishing up.

IMG_2923.jpg

Like most things in life, it depends. How thick is your subfloor? Ply or OSB? How flexible is the subfloor (jump up and down on it in the middle of the room). Think of the subfloor as a system. If it moves now when you walk across it it'll continue after the finish floor is laid. If you lay it perpendicular you stiffen it which makes it more stable. Parallel doesn't help much with stiffness.

If you're laying the floor yourself and really want to put something down that'll look crafty you can try changing directions + borders, etc. You can look at the flooring stuff in my remodel pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/125801702@N04/sets/72157644970208098

Might give you an idea.

Hey seriously though,

If you absolutely want to run it against the joists, I would use a good subfloor.

As for part of your question, I ran some travertine the "wrong" way in
a room that would have looked really bad if I ran it against the length of the
room...meaning, if you look out the "view" length of the house, it is against
the length of the house..but once you step into the room, it vanishes.

You're probably over reacting.

What's wrong with bamboo? Strand bamboo is very durable and eco friendly. It is harder to install, but other than that ???

Well because it's impossible to get a true moisture content with a meter due to all the glue in it. I've seen that stuff shrink and inch out from the baseboard. If your in a high humid zone it's not that bad.

It is hard though thats for sure.

Latest posts

Back