Need expert help, hardwood floor scratch advice

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill

Hello everyone! So it's getting to the point that I need to do something about repairing my floors. They're solid oak high gloss prefinished hardwood floors. Most of the defects such as finish scratches and dents are only visible in the glare of light that comes through during the day. My main concern isn't the dents but these darn light finish scratches on the surface. Like I said they're really only visible in the glare of daylight that reflects off the floors and it's driving me nuts lol. So, is there any way to remove or buff out these light finish scratches?? The scratches are very shallow but I can still feel them with my nail. They're not through the finish I don't think, but rather on thefinish. Is there a way to remove this without sanding and/or removing the finish andredoing the area? See pics below zoom in and see it. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_7270.JPG
    IMG_7270.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_7271.JPG
    IMG_7271.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7272.JPG
    IMG_7272.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7273.JPG
    IMG_7273.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 210
View attachment 9186 They need a light sanding , and recoat ..
Ok thanks. Could you please elaborate a tad more on "light" sanding and "recoat"? I just want to do these particular areas of the floor not a complete refin. If that's even possible what techniques should I use to blend the new finish to the existing??

Would a lower gloss finish be more likely to disguise minor scratches? I mean, it looks beautiful to be high gloss, but I think it may require more maintenance in the long run to stay high gloss.

And I'm guessing it can't just be buffed out...

Yeah it sure is pretty flooring but damn easy to clean yet high maintenance to keep them this way as everything shows up as if the gloss reflects and sorta creates a light of its own. Thanks for the input guys. I might just have to live with it and then sell the house after my rascals AND wife mess it up unintentionally of course, lol

Maybe you can get someone to do a screen and recoat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back