Need help in choosing bedroom carpet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

provlima

I'm moving into a condo unit I purchased that had had recent carpet damage due to a flood
I want to replace the carpet in the 10 x 11 bedroom but am facing a lot of other transition issues right now and would greatly appreciate advice from carpet pros on specific middle of the road carpet line recommendations that is

soft underfoot will be easy to maintain and will last for at least 10-15 years

Could someone please suggest specific lines I should look into and the ballpark price per square yard I can expect to pay installed with an 8lb padding. Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Your best bet will always be nylon fibers, not polypropeline or PET, especially since the traffic pattern will be concentrated a lot more than a large room. You want a dense pad, not s thick super soft pad. If other carpeting is in the hallway, you might want to match the bedroom padding with the same thickness padding.
Dont pay attention to the carpet price per square yard as much as the total cost. Total cost means what you feel is OK with your budget.
You're going to need 10 feet of carpet because most carpets are 12 feet wide. That's 10x12 or 120 square feet. If sold per square yard, that's about 13.5 square yards. If you are doing the measuring, be sure to measure to the bedroom doorway where the carpet will stop and into a bathroom doorway if it has one. A common
measuring mistake is measuring only to the walls. Also, you want to add at least 3 inches extra, so that means 10' 3".
This accounts for a carpet cut that may be out of square.
Installation costs can vary a lot. A room that size is probably going to be charged at a "minimum charge" Not many installers are going to show up for $75. I'd expect $125 to $150ish. Padding $4 to $6 per yard and carpet $20 to $35.... for something decent. $14 carpet isn't nylon and in cheaper capets, the fibers will untwist quickly and matt down, showing a wear pattern. Looped piles carpet holds up great, but won't feel as soft. If a cut pile carpet, don't pick the one with the longest fibers.
Even nearing $40 per square yard for carpet and pad, plus installation you are at about $650.

That's true. If your taking out a loan to buy the condo, this would be the time to buy something nice if it can be figured into the loan. El cheapo carpet and pad and labor.... Might be $400. Is it worth spending another $250 for something you really want?

Latest posts

Back