Need Help w/Refinishing Blotchy Exotic Parquet Floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

als1988

I've been sanding the old finish off of a parquet floor (canarywood and ironwood), but there are splotches all over that have a bleached look to them that I can't see to get rid of, no matter what grit I use. I am wanting to use Bona sealer and finish, and when I do a test patch of the sealer (or even a quick wipe with water, as pictured), these splotches don't accept anything, it just beads up on the surface. I've sanded these spots many times, thinking it is just old finish that hasn't come off yet, but they don't soften at all, and actually the more I sand, the more of them appear. At this point, I'm not sure if it still is the old finish or if the wood itself it somehow misbehaving, since they are exotics. I know that the wood was never stained before, only sealed and finished. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 142
I don't know your sanding sequence but it is possible to get it to smooth to accept the stain. ave you tried any of the prducts to open the grain? I'm sure a Paint store would have something, they even might have a good suggestion for you to solve the problem.

Is the wood glued down to a concrete floor or nailed into a wood substrate? I won't have any answers for you, but curious why the wood looks like that.

Latest posts

Back