Need help with flooring recomendations

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CbuckThree

New guy here that knows NOTHING about flooring looking for recommendations
  • We're building a new house 1 block from the ocean in the WET Pacific NW climate
  • Adult family of 2 with large 80 lb dog that brings in LOT's of sand from the beach
  • Want it to look natural/rustic but want virtually maintenance free (no real wood)
  • Approx. 1100 sq ft required (2 bathrooms, main entry, laundry room, kitchen and living room) no stairs but needs to transition to carpet.
  • Two stories, volume control is a must
  • Budget is fairly flexible
  • Will be installed by contractor
Where do I start and what do ya'll recommend (vinyl, laminate?) any brands? Where to buy (Lowes/Home Depot or online?)

Side note, our current home 4 blocks from the ocean was built in 2015 and has "Laminate Charter Oak Flooring" Concord (prod ID 8019). This stuff has been awesome over the last 4 years and still looks new but unfortunately it appears to discontinued and I have not found any stock online.

Thanks for all your help!

Sand is a bad as it gets. It's like gluing sandpaper to you shoes and wanting a floor to be bullet proof. That said, sweeping or vacuuming daily is a must. I saw a Coretec floor when doing a repair on some stairs, and the people thought the material wasn't wearing very well. I discovered when cleaning the place, then scooted furniture. When they swept some sand gets around the furniture legs, so when the furniture was scooted away from the wall for further cleaning the floor got scratched.
Sand gets embedded in the furniture legs too, so the bottoms of the legs need cleaning too.
As far as wear resistance, the old Pergo and Wilsonart laminate flooring held up fantastic. The cheaper laminate flooring is something I would stay away from. If Pergo Select is still made, that might be a good choice........... but the dogs are gonna slip and slide on it's hard surface. I think the dogs bring in sand are going tobe the big problem. I haven't checked on Pergo flooring recently to see if they are still making the same type of flooring. Vinyl plank flooring has taken over the market. It's softer so I can't really speak about the durability with sand. I haven't seen enough products out long enough to show how they hold up with sand.

Thanks for the awesome reply! So I gather from your post if we keep to high quality laminate plank that's about our best option? I'll check around for Pergo Select. I found other people recommend Pergo MAX do you have experience with that?

Side note, I found that using felt pads under all the heavy furniture offers protection but sand gets trapped in the felt so we just try our best not to move any furniture. I've installed PTFE pads on our chairs that move a lot and that has saved the floors too and the PTFE is hard enough sand doesn't really adhere to it.

I'll look at the Pergo Max. The felt pads will probably be better because the hard plastic ones because the sand will be cushioned a bit in the felt. Sand can embed in the plastic. Still, you need to keep the pads cleaned and shook out or vacuumed. Just keep everything clean.

All great advice. Is there recommendations on best source for flooring. Does Pergo sell direct? Do I just keep an eye on Home Depot and/or Lowes sales? Any other brands I should keep in mind?

Thank you again for taking the time to school me.

Tough to get a warranty with a beach outside the door. Premature wear is associated with poor maintenance. Get tile.

All great advice. Is there recommendations on best source for flooring. Does Pergo sell direct? Do I just keep an eye on Home Depot and/or Lowes sales? Any other brands I should keep in mind?

Thank you again for taking the time to school me.
Carpet One retailers guarantee the product including installation for life.
.............that said, check out what the guarantee does NOT cover. Ask what "life" means. Usually life of the product. It's always the fine print that bites you.
I would assume sand is not considered "normal" wear. I might be wrong.
It's pretty much up to you to go way above and beyond to keep the floor clean. If you do so, most high end products would probably work for you.
Ernesto said it best. If you wan't bullet proof, ceramic is the best option................. and it isn't going to be cheap. They do make a lot of wood looking tiles if that's what you are looking for. Adding borders of contrasting tile patterns are an option. Wood borders with traditional tile products might spruce up the look. There are heating systems for this so the tile doesn't have to be cold. Again, this is bullet proof but costly........ depending on the size of the area's you want it installed in.

• Approx. 1100 sq ft required (2 bathrooms, main entry, laundry room, kitchen and living room) no stairs but needs to transition to carpet.
  • Two stories, volume control is a must
Two stories............ no stairs. Just curious what that means. You are not doing the stairs, or there are no stairs?
Looks like bedrooms are carpet? I would assume that carpet could be replaced 3, 4 or 5 times before it equals the cost of tile.

Last edited:
Hey you should go for high quality vinyl flooring, can go either with resilient vinyl tiles or vinyl planks both are known for this durability, waterproof, stain, water and chemical resistant. Vinyl flooring works goods for all kind of atmosphere. NewAge Products do direct selling for luxury vinyl flooring from their website with an discounted rate, do explore the same, attaching the image for reference.

Attachments

• vinyl floor plank.jpg
    vinyl floor plank.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 226
  • newage vinyl tile flooring.jpg
    newage vinyl tile flooring.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 241

Latest posts

Back