Need help with this weird wooden parquet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steb

Hello everyone,
I hope someone can help me solve this problem, because all the people I have asked so far have been unable to provide a solution....

So, I renovated my house 6 months ago, brand new wooden floor, oiled, not varnished. From the start it had strange white areas near the nodes and the grain. These areas are almost invisible in artificial light from above, but in natural sunlight they are very noticeable. The parquet looks damaged or dirty when in fact it is not.
Below you can see the overall situation of the kitchen floor which (the kitchen is the room with most sunlight but this is happening all over the house):
overall-top.jpeg

overall.jpeg

Here some closups:
closeup2.jpeg
closeup3.jpeg

If I get the floor wet, the problem disappears temporarily and gets back as it dries.

So, the people I asked help for suggested that I should 'nourish' the wood with wax oil because it was probably very dry. I did it and got the same result as with water, problem solved until the product dried out.

I then tried feeding the wood with a natural straw-yellow oil by applying a very thin layer. This solved the problem for longer (about 1 month) but darkened the whole tone of the parquet.

Now I'm back to the situation where the knots and other areas are white again and I don't want to reapply a product that will change the tone of the wood and only solve the problem temporarily, so I'm asking you for help because I really have no way of understanding what the problem and solution might be.

I thank everyone in advance and I apologize if my english is a bit rough :)

Attachments

• close up1.jpeg
    close up1.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 0
The areas you pointed out are all porous grainy areas that like to suck up whatever you put on them. Oiled wood needs to be regularly maintained anyway but with those rough spots you’ll be doing it a bit more often.

Hi C.J,

thank you for your advice.
Is there any product you could suggest? Since wax oil is fixing it only for a couple of hours, probably pure natural oil like lineseed oil would work better?

Thank you again

It's not impossible that floor is supposed to look old and weathered... There might be people willing to pay extra for those boards you don't like... 🥸

Non e impossibile che floor debba sembrare vecchio e stagionato. Potrebbero esserci persone a pagare un extra per.

Last edited:
I'd call theanufacturers tech people.
It might be totally normal because of the wax finish. I'd only use the wax that they say to use, not try to fix something that isn't broke.

Is that a pre-finished floor? If so those crappy boards shoulda been culled. Do you have extra material? You could have the worst offending boards replaced.
Yes, it is a pre-finished floor. I do have some extra material, not enough boards for the whole house tho
It's not impossible that floor is supposed to look old and weathered... There might be people willing to pay extra for those boards you don't like... 🥸

Non e impossibile che floor debba sembrare vecchio e stagionato. Potrebbero esserci persone a pagare un extra per.
I agree that some people might want to pay extra for those boards...
If this is the case, I've then been scammed. The wooden samples displayed at the shop were not lookin old like the one I got.
I'd call theanufacturers tech people.
It might be totally normal because of the wax finish. I'd only use the wax that they say to use, not try to fix something that isn't broke.
I'm going to call the shop today. and find out more about the manufacturer.
I'll keep you posted

thank you all guys for the precious advices

Latest posts

Back