Need some opinions/advice on a sticky situation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one19

I have a situation that's probably not too unique to you professionals but I need some guidance as to the best way to proceed. I have peel and stick vinyl plank tiles (long, narrow strips that look like fake wood) over an oak hardwood floor. The problem is that the adhesive has failed on some strips and the tiles are loose and make a crinkly sound when walked on. We want to put new carpet on these floors but I don't know if I should try to re-glue down the problem tiles or pull them all up and scrape. It would be faster/easier to glue down the loose tiles -- if that will work -- because there are only a few. Pulling all the tiles up means using some kind of adhesive remover and scraping, which seems like a monumental job. We're talking about 4 rooms and a hallway.

Anyone have a similar experience? What do you experts think I should do?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cary

Attachments

• IMG-0196.jpg
    IMG-0196.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 117
This really boils down to a now problem or a later problem. If you removed them all, then there wont ever be any more problems other than the effort it takes now to do so. If you repair them and leave them in place, you have hardwood sandwiched with vinyl, carpet pad and carpet. One of those items is not really a part of the normal sandwich and one cannot know how exactly they will react. If they come up at all, then go for broke. As for adhesive remover, I do not see the need. Just sweep some silica play sand around the floor, or for that matter just put carpet pad on it and call it a day.

That isnt to say that you cannot simply glue/staple/nail/affix the affected tiles and lay carpet on that either. Really depends on your appetite for risk. Problem with risk is that it is not a guarantee either way, but my money would be on removal.

I'll throw one more thing into the mix.
When you add pad and carpet you're not stepping directly on those tiles with 100% of your weight transferring from your shoe to these tiles. The carpet and the pad will displace the weight a little bit and maybe he won't have any problems.
I did say maybe. 😁
You're sure the noise is coming from the tiles and not the underlayment?

This really boils down to a now problem or a later problem. If you removed them all, then there wont ever be any more problems other than the effort it takes now to do so. If you repair them and leave them in place, you have hardwood sandwiched with vinyl, carpet pad and carpet. One of those items is not really a part of the normal sandwich and one cannot know how exactly they will react. If they come up at all, then go for broke. As for adhesive remover, I do not see the need. Just sweep some silica play sand around the floor, or for that matter just put carpet pad on it and call it a day.

That isnt to say that you cannot simply glue/staple/nail/affix the affected tiles and lay carpet on that either. Really depends on your appetite for risk. Problem with risk is that it is not a guarantee either way, but my money would be on removal.
Thanks, Mark. I've decided to staple down the loose vinyl planks and lay the carpet/pad right over. Seems like a suitable solution and there are many fewer loose planks to staple than there would be to pull up and scrape.

Question: what kind of hardwood stapler should I buy for this project? I've got experience with brad and finish nailers but I've never bought or used a pneumatic stapler.

Thanks!

I'm not going to offer advice on this one but repeat something that I've heard before. Buy a good one and since it will be barely used, and you will never use it again, put it for sale. It will be almost like new and regardless of your loss, the.loss will probably be cheaper than renting one for any length of time.
Just a thought not a promise. And no I didn't stay at a holiday in last night 😁

So just an update: I bought a Metablo/Hitachi stapler and fastened the loose tiles to the hardwood floor underneath. That actually went pretty well. Now I'm just waiting on the carpet installers, who are taking their sweet time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this question!

So just an update: I bought a Metablo/Hitachi stapler and fastened the loose tiles to the hardwood floor underneath. That actually went pretty well. Now I'm just waiting on the carpet installers, who are taking their sweet time.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this question!
What do you mean taking their sweet time, I'm not even there yet.
I'll be there as soon as you see me. 😁
I don't know if they are performing the job slowly or if it's taking them weeks and weeks to get to you. It's impossible to find carpet and flooring installers, plumbers, electricians, just about everybody right now.

What do you mean taking their sweet time, I'm not even there yet.
I'll be there as soon as you see me. 😁
I don't know if they are performing the job slowly or if it's taking them weeks and weeks to get to you. It's impossible to find carpet and flooring installers, plumbers, electricians, just about everybody right now.

Man, I absolutely love this whole skilled labor shortage thing that’s going on right now. I have never been so appreciated in my life as I am right now and the money is damn good to. Best part is I’m practically working part time yet I’m making bank. Thank you baby Jesus for bringing me a Christmas miracle early. I think there’s even enough to go around for my Canadian friend😝

CDF54746-79DF-42D3-9D83-5D76A3E561BA.jpeg

Man, I absolutely love this whole skilled labor shortage thing that’s going on right now. I have never been so appreciated in my life as I am right now and the money is damn good to. Best part is I’m practically working part time yet I’m making bank. Thank you baby Jesus for bringing me a Christmas miracle early. I think there’s even enough to go around for my Canadian friend😝

View attachment 13025

I'm in the same boat Chris. The last year or two have been amazing to this floor whore. Its nice to be able to cherry pick your work, be appreciated and have money coming in the way it has been.
I'll be riding the hooves off of this cash cow!

For sticky I use baby powder——works great—-also paper will work as well—- it’s glue—- it wants to stick to something——give it something to stick to

Latest posts

Back