need suggestions

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
I have a ceramic kiln sitting in the bed of a pickup, It weighs probably 300 lbs. I need to get it out of the pickup and down on the ground. If I drop it, It will break the firebricks. I have no help. I was thinking about building a ramp, but not sure I could keep it from falling off the side of it. If I damage it, my wife will kill me. We all have had to improvise, any ideas?

That’s my specialty. Any culverts nearby?( without getting stuck) any V shape lowers the tailgate to the ground when back wheels are at low point. Or a hill

I have like 6 different ramps, you just need to move near me Rusty.

The truck does not run. It belongs to my in-laws estate and the court is supposed to tow it away.
Just wondering, if I back my tilting lawn trailer up to it, slide it on and then slide it off on the ground. Once it is on the ground, I can move it with a two-wheeler.

Improvised slides are dangerous if the edge falls off tailgate. You could strap it to dolly will help.

order a package and ask the delivery guy to help unload.

Craigslist gig, 25$ set kiln on ground from bed of pickup.

a trailer lawnmower type, cargo type with rear ramp to rest on tailgate, transfer to trailer pull forward ramp to ground.

Last edited:
The tricky part like Mike said is how to use ramps on the tailgate without the ramps sliding off of the tailgate.
I don't know what might happen if you can unhook your tailgate so it lays downward instead of straight out.
If it could maybe you could put two 2x6s on the bumper extending out from the back of the truck, and then lay the tailgate all the way down onto the 2x6s. You could stake the far end of the 2x6s securely so they couldn't slide anywhere. To make it slippery enough to slide down the 2x6s, use some strips of tempered hardboard between the kiln and the 2x6s. A dolly might want to roll too fast, but using some sort of a slider or slippery material you'd have more control.

I’ve drilled two holes in tailgate for the ramp pins.

but that is for more than one time gig.

there’s going halfway and leaning on edge of tailgate and that’s a fulcrum for tilting.

lower the tire pressure to almost flat

Last edited:
I’ve drilled two holes in tailgate for the ramp pins.

but that is for more than one time gig.

there’s going halfway and leaning on edge of tailgate and that’s a fulcrum for tilting.

lower the tire pressure to almost flat
Could do that, and then Jack the front end of the truck up.
Yes, doing this is actually "a thing" 😁

I like the look of the floppy trucks, like a hound dog laying down with its floppy ears on the floor.

I thought this planter I cut in half would make a good loading dock but it’s too low. It’s a goner as I don’t want plants and bugs near house.

Attachments

• E51F3A74-582D-4943-BF74-CEFDEAEF142E.jpeg
    E51F3A74-582D-4943-BF74-CEFDEAEF142E.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 31608540-8CCA-436B-9A2D-FC6CE759A8F4.jpeg
    31608540-8CCA-436B-9A2D-FC6CE759A8F4.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back