Need tips for drilling anchors.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I see drill bits for masonry that aren’t hammer drill bits I imagine they’re meant for cinder blocks or something soft like that. I couldn’t imagine trying to drill into concrete without using a hammer drill.

No, my hammer drill burned up during my last project, so I just used a regular drill. You think that could have caused the slight wandering? It's taken care of now, but that would be interesting to know if that was part of the problem. I know hammer drills are usually what's used on concrete.
If I didn't have a hammer drill I wouldn't even attempt to drill a hole in concrete. Without the hammering effect the bit heats up tremendously. It's the chipping action that digs the hole.
I'll add something additional when it comes to glueing transitions in place.
Instead of applying a full strip of adhesive from one side of the transition to the other, skip 1 inch every foot or so. When you put the transition into the adhesive you want to squirt a glob of hot glue in each of those places where there is no adhesive.
You need a hot..... hot glue gun and you need to move fairly fast, especially if it's on concrete. The hot glue instantly holds the trim and place and it won't squirm around as your main adhesive sets up. Before you apply the adhesive it might be worth putting in spots of blue tape as lineup for reference marks for when you lay the trim into place.
Use the clear glue sticks not the Amber ones. the clear glue sticks setup much more slowly, giving you those extra seconds of time to place and adjust your trim piece. A long pieces it might be easier with a second person. The first person could be laying the long piece of trim into place as the second person is laying in blobs of hot glue ahead of you, in those voids.

If I didn't have a hammer drill I wouldn't even attempt to drill a hole in concrete. Without the hammering effect the bit heats up tremendously. It's the chipping action that digs the hole.
I'll add something additional when it comes to glueing transitions in place.
Instead of applying a full strip of adhesive from one side of the transition to the other, skip 1 inch every foot or so. When you put the transition into the adhesive you want to squirt a glob of hot glue in each of those places where there is no adhesive.
You need a hot..... hot glue gun and you need to move fairly fast, especially if it's on concrete. The hot glue instantly holds the trim and place and it won't squirm around as your main adhesive sets up. Before you apply the adhesive it might be worth putting in spots of blue tape as lineup for reference marks for when you lay the trim into place.
Use the clear glue sticks not the Amber ones. the clear glue sticks setup much more slowly, giving you those extra seconds of time to place and adjust your trim piece. A long pieces it might be easier with a second person. The first person could be laying the long piece of trim into place as the second person is laying in blobs of hot glue ahead of you, in those voids.
I learned about the hot glue trick recently from a guy on youtube. He also said that the Loctite P3 was the only adhesive to use on concrete. When I went to the local hardware store to get some, they didn't have it, and instead of driving round trip an hour and a half, the guy told me I could probably get by with a regular drill. Haha. I made it work but my screw holes are like this:
* - . . * - . Definitely learned my lesson.

I hesitate to take advice from anybody in a sales position anymore. The majority of them are just regurgitating what they’ve been told (to boost sales of course) or they read the reviews back to you. I can read that crap myself, I want your feedback that you’ve gotten from the last umpteen customers in this situation. I experienced this when I was getting my tires not too long ago. Dude was reading the customer reviews back to me. I told him I don’t care about that, what tires are guys with work vans using here, those are the tires I want.

Latest posts

Back