Needing help/ advice with 1920 flooring.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake'soldhouse

I just recently purchased a home, which used to be a Doctor's office locally and moved/added on to about 24 years ago. The flooring is original in the original portion of the residence. I've been told the flooring is the old pine boards, but honestly I have no idea.

Unfortunately I have put some Bona type flooring polish on it approximately 6 months ago and now and regretting it. First off, I have cats and one morning we woke up to two piles of cat vomit, which had dried to the floor. I did get the mess up but it seems to have etched into the polish and cannot for the life of me get it fixed, even with more polish.

I've looked online and located some different items, but no real recommendations on this type of wood floor and due to it's age and it being original I'm extremely hesitant to move forward with any "fixes" without some sort of advice. The flooring is not stained and does not have any areas where it appears to be worn.

I've looked at Trewax Wax stripper and have read many reviews about mixing it 1:1 and using it but I've also read reviews about it potentially lightly bleaching portions of the flooring which the finish is thin on. I have no idea what the health of the finish is as I do not have the experience.

My assumption and my aim is to remove all polish and go from there. Does the finish have to come up in order to do this? What finish would be recommended to lay afterwards, if so?

Hiring a contractor is not in my finances at this time and I'm more than willing to learn and do the work myself. I'm just looking for some guidance.

If pictures would be of help I'll be more than glad to post them, just let me know.

Latest posts

Back