Neighbors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I've had the same next door neighbors (3 of them) for about 40 years. Next door is a lady, Lyn. We went to school since kindergarten. Her first husband, Kent was my age and he passed away about 20 years ago. As a kid, he was as goofy as anyone our age and he sort of reminded me of Gilligan for some reason.
She remarried a few years after and they asked me to be "photographer" at the wedding. :eek:
Small wedding and I think I done good. They were happy, so that's all that matters.
Her husband Rick got hurt in a log truck accident 15 years ago and has been on disability ever since. Pain meds and weekly therapy sessions have been going on ever since. Tonight, about 11:00, I saw blue lights flashing through my curtains. I peeked out the curtains and lights were flashing on the other side of the house too.
A neighbor who I barely know said he had taken Rick to the hospital 120 miles away today and it didn't go well. He was expecting something miraculous and it turned out to be a routine appointment. I guess the trip home was a nightmare.
Back to the flashing lights. State cop and sheriffs car were here and an ambulance backed in. Neighbor that took Rick to the doctor said he heard a gunshot and called 911. I'm amazed he heard it and I didn't. I'm 50 feet away from his back door. Ambulance took Rick away. He was still breathing. I guess we can just hope for the best............. whatever that is.
Maybe opiods took another one tonight. :rolleyes:

I won't know till tomorrow.

Last edited:
..............and prior to that, Lyn's son Josh passed away about 7 or 8 years ago. She and Rick raised his two young kids. I remember Josh coming over and giving me an invitation to his high school graduation. It was really cool, because students don't get many extra invitation tickets because of limited seating.
I felt pretty special because he did that.

He died that night. He and his wife depended on each other financially to run the household. No life insurance money. She's not sure what she's gonna do.

Does she have family that can help? She's going to need several death certificates and get with SS as soon as she can to turn his SS off and get widow benefits of his higher amount. (assuming his is higher). I wish her well. I hope their home is paid for and payments are not needed now.

Her income was higher. Just bought a car a couple years ago. Home isn't paid off, but it might be a good time to refinance. Not much family left.

I don't envy her. I know my Aunt is handling paperwork and her hubby passed in the summer.

Talked to her at the funeral service this afternoon. I mentioned refinancing the house. She has a friend that was in banking. Friend said don't bring death certificate to the bank. Not sure what that meant, but at least she has a friend that can give good advice for some financial stuff.
Her husband always mowed my lawn if it was getting tall. I got some payback to do.

Highup, I'm so sorry to hear this. There is so much with pain management that is not handled well by doctors. There are numerous treatments, but of course the opioids get pushed instead of RF treatments or other methods. And then they tell people they can't have enough of the opioids to relieve their pain because they might become addicted, and the opioids themselves can cause other health issues- constipation, bladder retention, abdominal pain, etc.

I hope your neighbor will be OK. I imagine it's going to be very rough on her for awhile. At least she's got a good neighbor and friends who are willing to help her. I've seen situations where a spouse died, and the "friends" & family did nothing but take advantage of the widow/widower.

Latest posts

Back