Net Neutrality

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
So will buying myself a server help? This decision by the FCC is very disturbing.
Now we are like China, North Korea, Iran.

FB_IMG_1513302808435.jpg

So will buying myself a server help? This decision by the FCC is very disturbing.
Now we are like China, North Korea, Iran.
.......which are government controlled economies, right?
Our net is controlled by free trade and companies, not government controlled in any sense of one's imagination. You're comparing apples to vacuum tubes. ;) Our government has regulated and forced companies into doing things that are unprofitable......... like China, North Korea and Iran. That may soon end.
That said, I may not like the changes any more than you do. The final results will tell how it affects us, not theorizing, fear mongering and guesstimating.
If the top performers always end up on page one of a Google search........... (just like they do now), start your search on page 4 instead.
I don't know the real life outcome this new change be for me or you personally, but your comparisons are way out of line with reality.

Last edited:
..........and my local "home town" newspaper already limits my access to their news page unless I subscribe........ so how's that gonna change? I'm not subscribing no matter how much or how little they charge.

They are going to charge sites more money , or you .. Slow down the bandwidth of sites that they are not making money from . Some sites they will just block..

Do you want to pay more money to access U Tube ? Not fear mongering and guesstimating. A Fact .. Remember where you heard it ..

An example. Say you have A T & T uverse. They could give Netflix the option, either pay us a special fee or we will block it to our customers. Netflix would pay and then raise prices, or not pay and those people would be blocked access. Would happen probably with sports first.

It is not a matter of going to 2nd or 3rd page of search results, it is that there may be only one page come up.

There has been net neutrality for almost 3 years. The internet was fine without it for the previous 20 years. I never noticed anything change during net neutrality. Now that it's going to revert back..... suddenly the sky will fall and the world will lay in ruins? Naw........ media hype. Companies can't tripple and quadruple rates because they won't have customers.
I'm predicting most people won't be able to tell the difference.

You'll See ..
Just my take on it. Dixie cup man don't know everything. :D
The news is so full of doom and gloom they go off the deep end with far fetched predictions. Sadly, good news just don't sell well.
To keep from getting political, remove Obamas name from the following and just replace it with "the government"

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...rality-will-save-internet-not-destroy-it.html

Supporters of net neutrality say that it protected everyday Americans from having their internet slowed down or their favorite websites blocked by a greedy, evil internet service provider. Others have said net neutrality made sure free speech wasn’t stifled by ISPs. These claims are nothing more than myths.

Market forces already protected consumers, because if an ISP started deliberately slowing down people’s favorite websites and streaming services, or putting an end to free speech, consumers would simply switch to a different ISP.

No internet service provider wants to be known for having “slow service” or being “anti-free-speech,” so there’s nothing for consumers to worry about.

Further, if a rogue ISP does decide to start unjustly penalizing a business or group of consumers, the Federal Trade Commission and FCC will still be able to stop these actions through their other regulatory powers.

I've been seeing that many of the anti-NN posts to the FCC used the names and addresses of people who were dead-- as well as listed some living people and purported to be them without their permission. Sean Astin reported that they had one from his mother, Patty Duke, posted after her death.

As for it having been fine before: It wasn't. My previous ISP subjected customers to throttling on certain sites, some throttling so low the pages timed out and were unusable, and some sites they outright blocked. They did this mostly for competing ISPs. They blocked WildBlue and Exede. They also blocked AT&T, which is my phone service-- this meant I wasn't able to check online bills, talk to customer service online, and so forth with the old ISP. I had to go to McDonalds with my laptop and use their wifi in order to get a new ISP.

They also throttled certain types of data-- if I was downloading a movie or file it would start to throttle and the longer I was loading the worse the throttle got until it choked it off to nothing without the download completing. This was on top of having a ridiculously low data limit per day.

My current ISP already has customers over a barrel because it's satellite and they charge up the wazoo for bandwidth. It was about $70 per month for 10Gb data limit per month. Now it's over $100 per month for 150Gb bc I got the "freedom" plan. At the end of the subscription year, the price will go up $10. These ISPs will look for any way to gouge customers and if they can charge more for visiting certain sites or get away with blocking some, they will do it.

And it's not like I can shop around for other ISPs. The only other ISP that can work out here is the one I left to go to this one, and it was far far worse. At least this one has tech support based in the US. The other one is based in India where you get people who only read scripts and can't understand simple concepts.

I'm really hoping that this gets overturned.

We used to have Bell South for phone service until AT&T bought them out. Terrible company. They didn't do maintenance on the lines for over 10 years. It was so bad I couldn't even get dialup. Even when line tests showed there was something wrong with my line, they refused to do anything about it. By law they were supposed to provide a minimum of 9kbps but they only provided 2kpbs-- lots of static on the line. AT&T did some work on lines, but I wouldn't try dialup nowadays.

Latest posts

Back