New Carpet crunchy sound

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest update:
The rep for southwind carpets is coming out to look at carpet. My carpet guy had thought they would just ask for sample and he thought at first just reorder a new roll and cover the claim but was still confident that the issue sounds like it is problem with backing maybe delamination. Then
He did some research and referenced that with foam pads it is recommended that adhesive glue only be used at perimeter because possibly on cement subfloor it can cause a crunchy sound when carpet and pad is stepped on ? I reminded him that we hear the sound on stairs as well which is not a foam pad but a bonded pad. Also referenced that the remnant roll makes a crunch sound when bent as well as when touching surface of carpet seems to be sticky residue in hands. Just hoping they do not try to push the problem off on pad and or installation.
will update what they say.

Yes worried about that possibility, I hear it’s rare too but it would be just our luck!

During this remodel we have had to return a shower three times for missing parts, a toilet that was delivered cracked. Whenever we buy a new appliance we joke about how it’s only the first time we are buying it , something will be wrong and we have to get new one! Just last week tried to buy new electric skillet I unboxed it and it was missing the legs and power cord !

They finally responded been almost a month. ( the inspector even admitted our carpet rep was following up with her and she kept overlooking getting back to them) As expected denied claims. Blamed the pad (even though 2 different pads) and blamed the installer said carpet was not properly stretched ,and they said carpet was stapled on stairs instead of tack strips. They said if carpet was properly stretched there wouldn’t be the gap and less give to hear crunching. They also referenced that their warranty does not cover anything on stairs for any reason. Then also they said they claim in fine print that they reference pads with the moisture barrier may result in crackling sounds. So is southwind carpet claiming their carpet only works with certain pads ?
our carpet guy does not agree with result , and also doesn’t believe they properly inspected but don’t know what his plans are as I have not had chance to talk with him. Anywhere to go from here ?

They finally responded been almost a month. ( the inspector even admitted our carpet rep was following up with her and she kept overlooking getting back to them) As expected denied claims. Blamed the pad (even though 2 different pads) and blamed the installer said carpet was not properly stretched ,and they said carpet was stapled on stairs instead of tack strips. They said if carpet was properly stretched there wouldn’t be the gap and less give to hear crunching. They also referenced that their warranty does not cover anything on stairs for any reason. Then also they said they claim in fine print that they reference pads with the moisture barrier may result in crackling sounds. So is southwind carpet claiming their carpet only works with certain pads ?
our carpet guy does not agree with result , and also doesn’t believe they properly inspected but don’t know what his plans are as I have not had chance to talk with him. Anywhere to go from here ?
Court is about all there is left. And who knows how that will come out.

Yea not much left. Talked to my carpet guy. He hasn’t had a chance to talk to his rep he said that he wants to maybe talk to his rep one more time face to face show him the carpet and try and persuade him. The inspector they sent obviously dropped the ball and did drag the issue out.

after that he said if it comes down to it he wants us to be happy. He is not just washing his hands of it and saying oh well they denied claim. He is continuing other avenue. ( I hope) He apologized and hates that it is dragging out .No matter what we at least feel like the company we chose for carpet install and flooring is good company. Support small business!

side questions
Is this just what carpet manufacturer does Blame the pad or carpet installer?

Is there a real problem with moisture barrier pads ? If so why do so many companies sell them ?

should a carpet crinkle or crunch when you bend a piece of it ?

do you think they should have power stretched and would that help ?

Pretty much. Did you pay by credit card? You can dispute it with your CC company or the retailer whom you purchased the carpet from can step up and make you happy then they can fight it out with the mill. In fact who really cares what the mill says, according to the U.C.C., whomever you purchased the carpet from has the responsibility of making it right with you. Don’t let them play that bullshit game of letting the manufacturer deny your claim. Somebody in the mix is responsible and right now they’re all pointing a finger at someone else. Might have to sue them all.

It’s probably a combination of toooo much crushed marble dust mixed into the latex binder that holds the secondary backing to the primary backing of the carpet AND poor quality adhesion of the moisture barrier to the pad. Pull back a corner of the room and do some detective work. Ask the installer to bring a piece of different pad to fool around with. Sorry this has happened, wishing you a found solution sooooooon. O-Boy hang in there.

Improperly stretching is a stupid excuse. If you unroll that carpet in the room and didn't stretch it at all, it would not cause a crunchy sound. PERIOD!
I've never heard a lame excuse like that. Sounds to me like everybody's getting paid off by the manufacturer.
If it's the pad it's the pad. If it's the carpet, it's the carpet. It should not be squeaking or scrunching or whatever you want to call it.

Yea not much left. Talked to my carpet guy. He hasn’t had a chance to talk to his rep he said that he wants to maybe talk to his rep one more time face to face show him the carpet and try and persuade him. The inspector they sent obviously dropped the ball and did drag the issue out.

after that he said if it comes down to it he wants us to be happy. He is not just washing his hands of it and saying oh well they denied claim. He is continuing other avenue. ( I hope) He apologized and hates that it is dragging out .No matter what we at least feel like the company we chose for carpet install and flooring is good company. Support small business!

side questions

Is there a real problem with moisture barrier pads ? If so why do so many companies sell them ?

should a carpet crinkle or crunch when you bend a piece of it ?

do you think they should have power stretched and would that help ?
I just read your comment here. Stretching correctly or incorrectly has zero effect on that sound you're hearing. ZERO. I mean, ask yourself, do area rugs squeak? They aren't stretched in.
I like the fact that the company you bought it from seems to be on your side. They didn't manufacture the carpet or the pad so it's not a fault of their own. I think they should he doing the leg work so that it doesn't get to a court issue.
Squeeky carpet is not normal.

Last edited:
Well as expected, the rep for southwind didn’t think there was anything out of the ordinary About the sample.

so our carpet guy at this point said the only thing he can think of is to replace the red tape that was used for pad with duct tape , check that nothing underneath pad or on the pad and also power stretch carpet. He doesn’t have high hopes because obviously no tape on stairs and the sound is on stairs as well.
however wants to try this to see if they can try to get rid of the sound.

that is the update, we are disappointed. We put a lot of time and work into this basement. Not much else to do, a trip to court I don’t think is worth time and effort.
the good news once you get through the hallway and into the movie theatre room to watch our movies we don’t hear it once we are sitting down 😂

Occasionally, a guy will use duct tape on the pad at the stair nose to reinforce it, but I truly doubt that he did. Its a rare thing to see tape on stairs.
I'm just saying that if the stairs have a crunchy sound with no tape, then the tape in the room is an unlikely cause.
;)the only thing that an installer can do for you is release the carpet and pull it back, then see if the problem can be discovered once you can get to the pad. Maybe it is a pad issue. I wouldn't have him replacing the tape unless it is an obvious issue. If the carpet is crunchy in areas with no tape, then tape isn,t the problem, so inspecting the pad might be all you can do. I hope the installer is a descendant of Colombo.

It sounds simple enough. Pull the carpet back and if the crunchy sound doesn’t exist when you walk on the pad then it’s the carpet. If you pull the carpet back and the crunchy pad exists when you walk on the pad then it’s the pad. I’ve seen pad with a few hard bits that made noise and after removing those hard bits the noise went away. Could be there are too many hard bits to deal with and you have to replace all the pad. Seen that before too but very rarely. Hopefully between you and your installer you can figure it out since the manufacturer’s really don’t care about you unless you are a major player that spends big bucks with them. Welcome to America.

Welcome to America.
Don't worry, it is even worse here in Canada!
I do love that no one wants to come to the table, not that I am surprised. It just boggles my mind is all. I am going out on a limb here and assuming this is not crazy customer syndrome and that there really is a strange crunching sound on the carpet when it is walked on. That is not normal and it obviously someone's fault but heaven forbid someone step to the plate and actually admit it was them.

Good luck once again and if you think of it you tell your installer "Mark Brown says thank you for giving a damn" it sound like they are your only advocate in this fight and know what, they might have caused it too but at the least it sounds like they are willing to help out and try and find out why.

Don't worry, it is even worse here in Canada!
I do love that no one wants to come to the table, not that I am surprised. It just boggles my mind is all. I am going out on a limb here and assuming this is not crazy customer syndrome and that there really is a strange crunching sound on the carpet when it is walked on. That is not normal and it obviously someone's fault but heaven forbid someone step to the plate and actually admit it was them.

Good luck once again and if you think of it you tell your installer "Mark Brown says thank you for giving a damn" it sound like they are your only advocate in this fight and know what, they might have caused it too but at the least it sounds like they are willing to help out and try and find out why.

I’ve gone out of my way and even eaten a few turds throughout the years all in the name of customer satisfaction. It just blows me away how these major corporations couldn’t care less about you. What’s it to them to have one single customer (or even a handful of customers) never buy from them again. But when your an installer that makes their living off of their own neighbors, you kinda have to give a shit. Bake your installer some fresh cookies to show them that you appreciate them.

I’ve gone out of my way and even eaten a few turds throughout the years all in the name of customer satisfaction. It just blows me away how these major corporations couldn’t care less about you. What’s it to them to have one single customer (or even a handful of customers) never buy from them again. But when your an installer that makes their living off of their own neighbors, you kinda have to give a shit. Bake your installer some fresh cookies to show them that you appreciate them.
Or if somehow they manufactured 50,000 yards of carpet that squeaked and they don't want to replace all that?
at that point they might want to save money by convincing as many customers as possible that there's no problem. 😉

Latest posts

Back