New Carpet crunchy sound

Help Support Flooring Forum:

Basement456

thanks everyone, it is frustrating. We spent hours researching various types of pads, carpets. we avoid one carpet brand because of issues we heard about.
at least we are not the crazy customer , everyone from installers, to carpet reps, to inspector hears the sound and agrees there is problem. the one rep said how annoying it is.
We just have really bad luck.

C.J.

Professional
Pro
So everybody hears it, acknowledges that there is a problem and yet the installer is the only one willing to help you out? So let’s say he pulls the carpet back and discovers that it’s either something with the pad or the carpet, will either of those two manufacturers then step up to the plate and do the right thing?

I think you need to lean into your retailer who you purchased material from at that point and let them deal with the manufacturers. From a legal stand point whoever you purchased the material from is the one on the hook for making it right if it does in fact turn out to be either the carpet or the pad. When a retailer tries to shirk their responsibility, that crap pisses me off.

Basement456

There lies the part of the problem. The basement floor pad was purchased from big box store along with a carpet. When they messed up project ( that’s another story) we cancelled got refund we chose to keep the pad we purchased because
At the time it seemed to be good quality pad, why go through mess of ripping up perfectly good brand new pad and frankly did not want them back in my home.

then we we started over with new small business we purchased a pad for the stairs through them along with the carpet.

so we appreciate how much the new company is working to make things right. I think because we are able to hear the problems with the pad they used as well as the one that we had gotten before we started with them. I really don’t forsee any scenario the big box store steps up to plate to fix the pad.

should have listened our gut and started completely over with new company.
However whoever makes pad would just push it back on the carpet manufacturer.

C.J.

Professional
Pro
HD has/ had a purple foam pad that was pretty decent. It had a waffle pattern of dimples in it and I’ve seen when the pad tape sticks and releases in those dimples when walked on. It made noise. Didn’t do it throughout the entire house even though all pad seams were taped. I’m imagining some of the tape used had more stick em than the what was used in the rest of the house. The solution was to cut out the offending areas of pad tape, fill back in then tape it again with a tape that doesn’t make/ cause noise. If that’s it it’s a relatively easy fix and quite honestly that would be the best and easiest solution so I got my fingers crossed for ya.

Or maybe there is something underneath the pad that is causing noise. You wouldn’t believe what I’ve discovered underneath carpet and pad. Pad roll wrappers, pad scraps, dirty floors (enough to cause an issue).

Basement456

What type of tape should they use ? That is there plan is too replace tape. Wouldn’t surprise me if stuff underneath pad. The big box store did horrible job laying pad. There was literal waves of pad that they didn’t lay down flat on floor. One of the reasons we stopped them from project. If they can’t lay pad down how can they lay carpet.

Our new company was going to fix it and they did but they didn’t pull up the pad so who knows what they did.

our pad is blue foam

C.J.

Professional
Pro
I always used duct tape and I use that in the general sense of the word. Grey roll of tape that sticks good. Maybe in this case too good. You can easily use a roll or two of tape on a job so the cost adds up and everybody is always lookin to save a buck. Maybe a cheap roll of something was used or who knows what the installer may have used. There’s a pad tape that is like brown packing tape and I never liked it because I thought it made noise compared to duct tape.

Future Foam? Is that the pad you have. That waffle pattern on the waterproof outer skin is what I’m talkin about. If you (the installer) pull the carpet back and walk on the taped portion of the pad and it crunches, that’s it. Sounds crazy but I’ve seen it before.

Last edited:

Basement456

There isn’t a waffle pattern on the pad, some of the areas where its loud there is no taped seams so unsure that this will fix problem but at least installer will try. Plus they are going to power stretch in. I will say there are areas where carpet seems to be a little loose. Maybe if they tighten up it Will help? Who knows. Will let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts