New Carpet crunchy sound

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks everyone, it is frustrating. We spent hours researching various types of pads, carpets. we avoid one carpet brand because of issues we heard about.
at least we are not the crazy customer , everyone from installers, to carpet reps, to inspector hears the sound and agrees there is problem. the one rep said how annoying it is.
We just have really bad luck.

So everybody hears it, acknowledges that there is a problem and yet the installer is the only one willing to help you out? So letā€™s say he pulls the carpet back and discovers that itā€™s either something with the pad or the carpet, will either of those two manufacturers then step up to the plate and do the right thing?

I think you need to lean into your retailer who you purchased material from at that point and let them deal with the manufacturers. From a legal stand point whoever you purchased the material from is the one on the hook for making it right if it does in fact turn out to be either the carpet or the pad. When a retailer tries to shirk their responsibility, that crap pisses me off.

There lies the part of the problem. The basement floor pad was purchased from big box store along with a carpet. When they messed up project ( thatā€™s another story) we cancelled got refund we chose to keep the pad we purchased because
At the time it seemed to be good quality pad, why go through mess of ripping up perfectly good brand new pad and frankly did not want them back in my home.

then we we started over with new small business we purchased a pad for the stairs through them along with the carpet.

so we appreciate how much the new company is working to make things right. I think because we are able to hear the problems with the pad they used as well as the one that we had gotten before we started with them. I really donā€™t forsee any scenario the big box store steps up to plate to fix the pad.

should have listened our gut and started completely over with new company.
However whoever makes pad would just push it back on the carpet manufacturer.

HD has/ had a purple foam pad that was pretty decent. It had a waffle pattern of dimples in it and Iā€™ve seen when the pad tape sticks and releases in those dimples when walked on. It made noise. Didnā€™t do it throughout the entire house even though all pad seams were taped. Iā€™m imagining some of the tape used had more stick em than the what was used in the rest of the house. The solution was to cut out the offending areas of pad tape, fill back in then tape it again with a tape that doesnā€™t make/ cause noise. If thatā€™s it itā€™s a relatively easy fix and quite honestly that would be the best and easiest solution so I got my fingers crossed for ya.

Or maybe there is something underneath the pad that is causing noise. You wouldnā€™t believe what Iā€™ve discovered underneath carpet and pad. Pad roll wrappers, pad scraps, dirty floors (enough to cause an issue).

What type of tape should they use ? That is there plan is too replace tape. Wouldnā€™t surprise me if stuff underneath pad. The big box store did horrible job laying pad. There was literal waves of pad that they didnā€™t lay down flat on floor. One of the reasons we stopped them from project. If they canā€™t lay pad down how can they lay carpet.

Our new company was going to fix it and they did but they didnā€™t pull up the pad so who knows what they did.

our pad is blue foam

I always used duct tape and I use that in the general sense of the word. Grey roll of tape that sticks good. Maybe in this case too good. You can easily use a roll or two of tape on a job so the cost adds up and everybody is always lookin to save a buck. Maybe a cheap roll of something was used or who knows what the installer may have used. Thereā€™s a pad tape that is like brown packing tape and I never liked it because I thought it made noise compared to duct tape.

Future Foam? Is that the pad you have. That waffle pattern on the waterproof outer skin is what Iā€™m talkin about. If you (the installer) pull the carpet back and walk on the taped portion of the pad and it crunches, thatā€™s it. Sounds crazy but Iā€™ve seen it before.

Last edited:
There isnā€™t a waffle pattern on the pad, some of the areas where its loud there is no taped seams so unsure that this will fix problem but at least installer will try. Plus they are going to power stretch in. I will say there are areas where carpet seems to be a little loose. Maybe if they tighten up it Will help? Who knows. Will let you know how it turns out.

So here is update. We are out of luck. Our carpet guy finally got installers out to take a look possibly fix tape and stretch carpet.
they came out and said they could do all that but it is the carpet not the pad. They examined carpet on stairs ( their pad) and you can hear the sound coming from carpet not lso noted the carpet is shedding quite a bit for a new carpet.
They said they would

have a new inspector come out and continue to fight against carpet company.

we donā€™t know what to do we are in limbo.
I donā€™t really think the carpet company is gonna do anything.

so do we just eat the cost start all over and pick a new carpet company and have this stuff ripped up and reinstall something new ?
Or live with it ?
then in a year after we have moved in furniture to basement then realize carpet isnā€™t holding up and now we have twice the work ?

the installers said they have never seen this before and noted when they installed first time they were short carpet for the bedroom/office. So we waited in that room they order from same lot but not same roll they think. Because the sound in bedroom office not nearly as bad as rest of the area.

leave it to us to have to most weird problem .

Did you pay with a credit card? If so you can dispute it with your CC company. You can also hire your own inspector for a second opinion. How about taking the retailer to court. The retailer is who you purchased the carpet from so who really cares what the carpet manufacturer says, the retailer is the one on the hook for taking care of you. Let them fight it out with the manufacturer. The sucky thing for your installer is that unless they did the installation 100% by the book, and most donā€™t, then they may be on the hook for this. This all sucks but stand firm and you should see some resolution even if it takes time to get there.

We paid by check I believe. Although itā€™s not the retailers fault ( who purchased from) I mean we picked this carpet.
They didnā€™t manufacture it. Yes I believe they want us to be happy but I donā€™t think they are gonna just sheā€™ll out the money to recarpet the whole place again.

I mean if you buy a fridge from Best Buy and something is the matter Best Buy just passes you off to manufacture of the fridge.

If you accept that as an answer then thatā€™s your choice. According to the Uniform Commercial Code (federal law or federal guidelines depending on what state you live in) the retailer you purchased the product from has the onus of satisfying you. I believe, IIRC, Article II section 71 is what pertains to you.

Google is your friend. Maybe even spend a couple hundred bucks for a consultation with an attorney. Or just roll over and take it. Not sure how much you spent but Iā€™m sure I wouldnā€™t just roll over and take it for that kind of chedda you forked out.

Good points. We have been stuck in limbo since Feb. worked hard to finish off basement and canā€™t really move in yet. Maybe we keep fighting and finish off other stuff like some countertops , etc. and keep fighting.
We have one couch and our big screen projector is set up so at least we can watch movies etc.

I suppose we can finish off bathroom linen closet we are building.

It sucks for sure. Is the retailer BBB accredited? Thatā€™s one option. You can post bad reviews all over town. Might be worth a visit to an attorney. Sometimes just a letter from them will inspire some action from your retailer. Let them fight it out with the mill. Thatā€™s their job, not yours. They have more pull than you for sure. Maybe they have to take it in the shorts. If that manufacturer sucks so bad then maybe they should decide to not do business with them. Again, thatā€™s their problem, not yours. Sucks for them but thatā€™s business and thatā€™s why they make a profit off of selling material. Otherwise you coulda just bypassed them and gone directly to the manufacturer. You get some shitty fries from McDonaldā€™s you donā€™t file a claim with JR Simplot do you? No. McDonaldā€™s takes care of you because McDonaldā€™s is the retailer that took your money.

A lot of places that order direct for you at maybe 5% or 10% over cost can save you money for sure but the real sacrifice your making by saving money is showing itself right now. For what itā€™s worth Iā€™ve done box store work for years and their customer service is no better. You get put through the ringer in hopes that youā€™ll just give up and fade away.

Talked with a retailer. He really is trying. I think part of the problem too is the brand we chosen is maybe one that isnā€™t his biggest business so he may not have the same pull especially being small business.

he also said he has only had to file one claim before it was Mohawk and it was fixed in a week. So new experience, even the install guys have never seen this before but agree it is problem and unacceptable too. He said he is going to light a fire because this isnā€™t acceptable.

leave it to us to find the one problem that has never occurred before.

Talked with a retailer. He really is trying. I think part of the problem too is the brand we chosen is maybe one that isnā€™t his biggest business so he may not have the same pull especially being small business.

he also said he has only had to file one claim before it was Mohawk and it was fixed in a week. So new experience, even the install guys have never seen this before but agree it is problem and unacceptable too. He said he is going to light a fire because this isnā€™t acceptable.

leave it to us to find the one problem that has never occurred before.
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re going thru all this. Keep up the fight tho!! We bought carpet and padding from Home Depot and it also sounds crunchy, but not everywhere. They had the carpet mfg send out an inspector. Not the carpet they said. So Home Depot said there is nothing more they can do for me! Um, wrong answer! I told them then maybe itā€™s the pad. Maybe this carpet and pad donā€™t play well with each other. I forced them to contact the pad company. They instead sent out a supervisor from the place that does the installs for them called CREW2. It took them over a month to get back to me. They (HD) never return my phone calls. Iā€™ve gone up the chain of command. In the meantime I hired my own inspector. He said this pad is not supposed to be glued to the cement. The crunchy sound comes as you lift your foot off the carpet. The glue is being pulled up with it. We bought the waterproof pad made by Mohawk. I watched videos of how it is to be installed and yep. Itā€™s not to be glued but is to be duck taped along the whole seem and another piece placed across it every 18 inches. Their guy finally came out to inspect it and he said he already knows what the problem is cuz he has seen it before. He needed to pull carpet and pad back a generous amount and take a sound and picture video to show them the problem. I was to hear back that week. Of course I didnā€™t. I keep calling them and am always told she will get back to me but sheā€™s on another call. Never calls me back. Now Iā€™m assuming she just isnā€™t taking my calls anymore and has her office help tell me what they are doing. I have to call and practically pull teeth to get any info out of them. Last I was told is more than a week ago that she has requested a PO for it to get fixed. I asked how they would be fixing it. She couldnā€™t answer that. My saga continues also but I do feel some resolution coming soon at least. I hope you get it soon too. Iā€™m in MN by the way. If youā€™re having the same problem Iā€™d be happy to help in any way I can. I wrote sown every time I talk to anyone and record date and time of call and what was said and who I spoke to. I will never get carpet or pad from Home Depot again!

Iā€™m sorry youā€™re going thru all this. Keep up the fight tho!! We bought carpet and padding from Home Depot and it also sounds crunchy, but not everywhere. They had the carpet mfg send out an inspector. Not the carpet they said. So Home Depot said there is nothing more they can do for me! Um, wrong answer! I told them then maybe itā€™s the pad. Maybe this carpet and pad donā€™t play well with each other. I forced them to contact the pad company. They instead sent out a supervisor from the place that does the installs for them called CREW2. It took them over a month to get back to me. They (HD) never return my phone calls. Iā€™ve gone up the chain of command. In the meantime I hired my own inspector. He said this pad is not supposed to be glued to the cement. The crunchy sound comes as you lift your foot off the carpet. The glue is being pulled up with it. We bought the waterproof pad made by Mohawk. I watched videos of how it is to be installed and yep. Itā€™s not to be glued but is to be duck taped along the whole seem and another piece placed across it every 18 inches. Their guy finally came out to inspect it and he said he already knows what the problem is cuz he has seen it before. He needed to pull carpet and pad back a generous amount and take a sound and picture video to show them the problem. I was to hear back that week. Of course I didnā€™t. I keep calling them and am always told she will get back to me but sheā€™s on another call. Never calls me back. Now Iā€™m assuming she just isnā€™t taking my calls anymore and has her office help tell me what they are doing. I have to call and practically pull teeth to get any info out of them. Last I was told is more than a week ago that she has requested a PO for it to get fixed. I asked how they would be fixing it. She couldnā€™t answer that. My saga continues also but I do feel some resolution coming soon at least. I hope you get it soon too. Iā€™m in MN by the way. If youā€™re having the same problem Iā€™d be happy to help in any way I can. I wrote sown every time I talk to anyone and record date and time of call and what was said and who I spoke to. I will never get carpet or pad from Home Depot again!

Call Customer Care in Atlanta. Not customer service, customer care. Otherwise you just get the run around from the store and the service provider who are busy pointing the finger at each other or someone else.

Yep agree never Home Depot. We cancelled our order and got our money back but decided to keep the pad. Big mistake. Although our installers tested the stairs where there is no pad and it is the carpet not just the pad. So for us itā€™s both. At least we are dealing with a retailer that cares but he just needs to be more aggressive I think.

Latest posts

Back