New Carpet crunchy sound

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basement456

We just had new carpet installed about two weeks ago. We noticed when it was installed, in certain areas there was a crunchy sound when you walked, at first we thought it just hadn’t settled or maybe there was the padding tape in that area or possibly it was our pad. Since then we have noticed that it is in random areas where there isn’t tape. When we brought up to installers, ( they were back out to finish up another room and clean up seams) they seemed to imply it would go away. Are we being too picky ? Is this normal ? We have 55 oz polyester cut pile, southwind Carpet.

Most carpet padding is made of what's called rebonded foam. they shred up different densities of foam into little pieces and combine them together to create the density they want. Small pieces of soft plastic are shredded up too, and are included in this mix of foam.
When a tiny piece of this plastic stands vertically within the foam construction it can create this sound. it's sort of acts like a squeegee scraping on the floor when you step on that spot.
It's not the installers fault. Contact whoever you bought the carpet from. Tell them you're not happy and you want the problem fixed. If it was me I wouldn't give in. I'd insist that this gets fixed or take them to small claims. The retailer you bought this from didn't cause the problem either.
I don't see this problem as much as I used to but when installing the padding and crawling around on the floor whenever I kneel on one of these spots I'll pick that little piece of plastic out so that it doesn't cause the problem you're describing. Installer is not going to spend all day going over your carpet padding inch by inch to look for this problem. That's why I say it's not the installers fault.

Last edited:
We have contacted them, they have been great so far so hopefully that continues. We are not trying to be picky just didn’t know if that was something normal and will go away. I have never heard of this before though. We figured it was best to address right away especially if something that can be or should be . fixed

Sometimes fixing that might require taking seems apart to fold the carpet back. If that's required then remember that the same may not look as good the second time. They may but it's something to keep in mind. There may be tricks that I haven't tried. It all depends on how much this bothers you. One of my customers called them scrunchies. That's a combination of a crunch and a squeak. 😁
With a careful ear and finger pressure sometimes you can isolate the exact spot where the sound is coming from. I suppose it might be possible to carefully inject a tiny amount of carpet pad cement through the carpet and under the pad to attach it to the floor. Like I said that's just an idea. Carpet pad cement is very sticky and messy stuff and if it gets on the carpet surface it won't be a good thing. And installer would have to be very very careful attempting something like this.

Sometimes if it is a spot in the pad you can take an awl and insert it through the carpet and kind of spin/twist it around and that will tip that hard spot so it idn't standing on end. Those scrunchies as Hi calls them are actully quite common in rebond pad. I have found wood , metal, cloth, and numerous items in the pad. Back in the day when the super tampons were causing a problem for the ladies guess where they went after being ground up. NO they weren't used. Now if it is what is called virgin pad it is foam that has not been used before. Some of it is pad that was recyled from previous jobs and reground up and disinfected and made back into pad again.

It is brand new pad (foam ) on the main floor the stairs are a new bonded pad. ( long story as why the pad is different style on stairs) this is new carpet throughout basement we just finished. I read something about carpet defect called scorch ? Is that a possibility? Or is the carpet not stretched enough ! There seems to be no pattern. We hear the sound the most in one of the hallways, at bottom of stairs the bedroom not as much and we can hear in other random spots. It is noticeable enough that someone we had over to show the basement noticed it right away when walking.
We like the carpet overall, very warm, nice cushion. We don’t want to that difficult client but if it is something that can be fixed we would like it to be fixed now rather than deal with problems later on.

Even if the carpet wasn't stretched it wouldn't make noises so that's not the problem. It's just those little thin plastic pieces causing the sound. hopefully they can deal with the ones that bother you the most.
Depending on the carpet I prefer a different pad on the stairs. A fiber type pad or a slightly thinner and more dense pad. It feels more stable when walking up and down the stairs than a thick pad.

Thanks our guy has only hear of this once with wool carpet and it kind of settle and went away. We are going to give it a week or two. He said they stand by their work, if still not right sending rep and installers out to investigate. I am happy with that response. Like I said I trust this guy and feel he will work to make it right. Like I said overall very happy carpet looks good and is comfy to walk on so we just wanted to address and let him know.

Will do. We will probably call at end of week for rep to come out. The crunchy sound just seems to be getting worse. We looked at the remnant. Although the surface of carpet is soft the carpet itself is very stiff and when you try to bend you hear that crunchy sound is new carpet normally that stiff or should it easily bend or roll ? Another thing we noticed is when I was picking up some of the shedding fibers after my fingers and hands ran over surface there was a tacky residue on my hands ? Again we haven’t had new carpet in a couple of years but don’t remember these things

So the latest update, our carpet guy is going to make a claim with the rep And send in sample of the carpet. I did mention the sticky residue As well. He said he did have one other claim once with a Mohawk carpet delaminating and they took care of it. So we will see what the rep finds out. The sound definitely seems to be getting louder Or at least not getting quieter. So hopefully there is some sort of solution.

Thank you for the update we appreciate it very much. We'd like to hear the final result when you get it. Sometimes we're just guessing and maybe this is something different than we normally come upon.

I do have one other question. I don’t want to be picky so wanted to find out if this is normal or not before I bother the carpet guys with another issue. I know when you have heavy furniture on carpet it will leave a dent. However yesterday we had folding chairs set up and kids sat on them at a table for maybe and hour playing game. When we moved the folding chair we noticed dents in the carpet and they were not easy to fluff out. Should they be ? Or is this common any time something sets on carpet it will leave a dent no matter how long ?

It will typically depend on the pad/yarn combination of your carpet. Tightly woven carpets, dense saxony and berbers with a generally firm pad, not a chance. Frieze and other "shag" styles or less dense saxony carpets will tend to indent. Couple that with a soft pad... doom
Face wights of carpets are a bit misleading seeing as a longer pile on a less dense carpet with typically produce a higher faceweight yet a much lower density factor.
Throw in an installation that is not pole/power stretched and well, indents are something one should familiarize ones self with.
But as a general rule.... No.

Okay then we may mention this. It is 55oz cut pile carpet it is fairly dense cut pile. Not a shag or frieze. Just don’t know what to think anymore. I will update.

It would be interesting to know the pad thickness and density. Sometimes thick carpets or dense carpets like you have are soft all by themselves, and might feel very comfortable with a dense 40 oz felt pad. Felt is less susceptible to indentation than foam pads. That's not something that's typically done.
Furniture for chairs with small pointy legs are going to create indentations much easier and harder for the carpet to recover from.

It’s a dense foam pad it was the highest quality of pad they offered. 8lb pad I think. It is foam though. So maybe that is partly why more indentation.

Latest posts

Back