New charge to take recyleables to refuse site

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
We have an in-town recycle and disposal site. (dump)
They of course chargedfor disposing of household garbage, construction debris, lawn clippings etc.
They also have large bins for recycled items like newspaper, flattened cardboard, plastic bottles, cans and glass.
On my way out of town last week, I stopped to drop off a cardboard box full of bottles..... and some pieces of cardboard. I got charged $5.
Every time I have been to this refuse disposal site, there are people dropping off recyclables. Often it's older people with some newspaper, a bag or box full of bottles, plastic water bottles or flattened cardboard........ things they can easily put in the back seat of their car on their way into town. It's rare if ever I see a pickup 1/2 full or even 1/4 full of recycle stuff because people just don't pile up a whole bunch of stuff in their garage.
Well, now it cost $5 to do the recycle stuff. Not worth the trouble to separate those items anymore. :confused:

We were given garbage cans and recycle cans that is included in our garbage pickup taxes from the city. And then we also have a retainer of 10 cents on all soft drink and beer can/bottles which when we take them and turn them in we get back. You would be surprised how many people walk the roads picking up returnables. When I was installation manager I used to have a big garbage bag at the loading dock for bottles and cans. The installer when broke were able to take enough out for a sandwich or whatever. Some months I ended up with a few dollars profit. Works for me.

:camping:

Daris

You get fined for not recycling everything in european countries and they don't charge you for it. But they will charge you if you do not recycle properly as it should be.

Aluminum cans are not worth saving here. A pickup load might bring $10.

When I was in high school I worked in a gas station. Oil came in aluminum cans and we saved them and took them to the scrap yard. Well my boss would put a teaspoon of sand in each can and crush it. Think the added weight made a difference?

:camping:

Daris

You get fined for not recycling everything in european countries and they don't charge you for it. But they will charge you if you do not recycle properly as it should be.

They do that here E.. They even fine you if you put your trash out before 5 pm the night before .. Now that is just the township i live in , Don't know about the others..

We get that much for two pop cans.............. of course we get charged 10 cents per can when we buy them. 10 cents back when you return them. It's not about making money. It just keeps cans from littering the roads. Oregon started the system with cans requiring a 5 cent deposit. Recently it went to 10 cents. Needless to say, there aren't any cans on the roadways. The program used to just include beer and pop cans, but it's been expanded to other cans and bottles now.

Last edited:
Same here. We used to have a high tech incinerator at the old landfill. They stopped using it many years ago and now it gets trucked a long ways away. Costs rose after that. 40 years ago it was free if you took stuff to the landfill.

To bad plastic isn't worth money. Soon your car will have so much aluminum it will be worth more as junk than resale.

In my area, I have a black trash can (for trash), a green can (for green waste) and a blue can (for recyclables), but what most folks know is ALL of our trash stops by a MRF (Material Recycling Facility) so everything is separated there. Our blue can is just an easy way for our bums to collect our cans and bottles and make $100 a day.

Latest posts

Back