New pick up

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet merciful crap I thought I had it rough. I paid 2 dollar a liter for the first time in my life for 91 octane last night and my head almost exploded.

Easy if you drive a lot, how far can you really go in NZ? Until your car sinks in the ocean.

I like my Diesel, didn’t think I would but the torque is there from the get go, (that alone is worth 10k to me) I suppose only thing better is an electric motor. Instant acceleration.

Last edited:
Easy if you drive a lot, how far can you really go in NZ? Until your car sinks in the ocean.

I like my Diesel, didn’t think I would but the torque is there from the get go, (that alone is worth 10k to me) I suppose only thing better is an electric motor. Instant acceleration.
I've watched a lot of YouTube videos of guys that have diesels and that have built them into Power houses that would pull redwood trees out of the ground........ not that they should because I like those ancient fellas.
Depending on how you pay for a rig in payments via cash one way to look at the other expensive a diesel is today it's paid for and from that point on you look forward to the savings and fuel. Many years ago I wasn't a big fan of diesel pickups but if I could afford to I would definitely consider at least an older diesel like the infamous 12 valve Cummins. I don't recall the year that they made the last of the non-electronic versions. You used to be able to change the injector size and the fuel pump with ease and when they became electronic the fun totally caved in.
Until then I'm happy and content knowing that there are still antique Chevy V8 and Chevy v6s like the one in my 93.

I agree, I wanted an All Star truck, the best components from each manufacturer put into one truck. I wanted a Cummins, I don’t like the look of dodges, yet the high end models grill seems ok. Best Transmission is probably Allison.

Don't forget every oil change and every time you have to touch the engine is more expensive. It’s gotten to the point where diesel isn’t really worth it anymore unless you tow significant weight all the time.

I just had my diesel serviced for a 30 thousand ks check on everything which they replaced the oil and filter at a cost of US$180.00
Not worth doing it yourself at that price

I just had my diesel serviced for a 30 thousand ks check on everything which they replaced the oil and filter at a cost of US$180.00
Not worth doing it yourself at that price
I do everything myself Jon. For 180 bucks I can buy a new truck. It won't be shiny of course, that is unless you spill some oil on the fender an attempt to wipe it off. 😁
It scares me to think of the day that I can't fix my own vehicle.
I can buy 5 quarts of synthetic and spend $10 on a decent filter and barely hit the $30 mark. Takes me about 15 or 20 minutes depending on how long I let the oil drip out before refilling it.
I suppose on newer vehicles they have a way of making oil changes more difficult.

I do everything myself Jon. For 180 bucks I can buy a new truck. It won't be shiny of course, that is unless you spill some oil on the fender an attempt to wipe it off. 😁
It scares me to think of the day that I can't fix my own vehicle.
I can buy 5 quarts of synthetic and spend $10 on a decent filter and barely hit the $30 mark. Takes me about 15 or 20 minutes depending on how long I let the oil drip out before refilling it.
I suppose on newer vehicles they have a way of making oil changes more difficult.

Trouble these days its all the putter stuff in them
The other day when I started the car the right hand rear wheel came up on the screen saying the tire was flat so I looked at it Didnt look flat to me so I checked the other tires and found the left hand rear was flat so it got that wrong
I have looked for a wire or something running from the wheel into the car. Nothing, so how did the car know it had a flat tire?

They have wee little atmospheric pressure sensors, typically attached to the valve stem that transmit radio frequency to the cars ecu. Then the magic happens and voila, tire pressure.
Apparently who ever I stalled them in your car was in a hurry to get home on a Friday.

They have wee little atmospheric pressure sensors, typically attached to the valve stem that transmit radio frequency to the cars ecu. Then the magic happens and voila, tire pressure.
Apparently who ever I stalled them in your car was in a hurry to get home on a Friday.

Well it was made by your friends at the Ford Factory at Canada :)

Trouble these days its all the putter stuff in them
The other day when I started the car the right hand rear wheel came up on the screen saying the tire was flat so I looked at it Didnt look flat to me so I checked the other tires and found the left hand rear was flat so it got that wrong
I have looked for a wire or something running from the wheel into the car. Nothing, so how did the car know it had a flat tire?
That's what I don't like about new cars. They can think. That means they can mess with you.

Does the vehicle itself have insurance if it wads up two cars while it parks itself..... Or does your insurance pay if the car parks itself and crunches up a couple of cars?
Come on Jonn, embrace technology. Someone has to and if you're not going to be me. Give me carburetors or give me death.

Does the vehicle itself have insurance if it wads up two cars while it parks itself..... Or does your insurance pay if the car parks itself and crunches up a couple of cars?
Come on Jonn, embrace technology. Someone has to and if you're not going to be me. Give me carburetors or give me death.

I mean to go somewhere with white lines on a car park and try it
One morning a sign came up on the screen saying clean screen cause of the screen needed demisting
I thought if you are that smart why dont you turn on the demister

Jon, my 1993 Chevy S10 pickup has a throttle body on it. That's like the first version of cheap fuel injection. Because it has that it also has a little computer.
No ABS brakes. No air pressure gauges in the tires, no automatic door locks, no nothing. My preference would be to remove the throttle body and install a plain old carburetor and a standard fuel pump, not the damn pumps that they put inside the tanks these days. I can't afford to go spend $300 here and $900 there and $2500 every so often having a shop fix my rigs.
I rebuilt dozens of quadrajet and Holly carburetors. I spent 80 hours reshaping the ports in a brand new pair of cast iron Chevy heads in hopes of performance increases...
...... And seat of the pants meter said yes it did.
I built two motors for my old Chevy pickup and I've always done my own tune-ups brakes...... Almost everything.
I did have an automatic transmission rebuilt one time because that's not a job for a backyard mechanic. I had a machinist clean and bore my block and install new cam bearings.
We're living in a day and age when people that can't afford new cars don't have the knowledge to fix their own stuff anymore. I don't like it.

Last edited:
Jon, my 1993 Chevy S10 pickup has a throttle body on it. That's like the first version of cheap fuel injection. Because it has that it also has a little computer.
No ABS brakes. No air pressure gauges in the tires, no automatic door locks, no nothing. My preference would be to remove the throttle body and install a plain old carburetor and a standard fuel pump, not the damn pumps that they put inside the tanks these days. I can't afford to go spend $300 here and $900 there and $2500 every so often having a shop fix my rigs.
I rebuilt dozens of quadrajet and Holly carburetors. I spent 80 hours reshaping the ports in a brand new pair of cast iron Chevy heads in hopes of performance increases...
...... And seat of the pants meter said yes it did.
I built two motors for my old Chevy pickup and I've always done my own tune-ups brakes...... Almost everything.
I did have an automatic transmission rebuilt one time because that's not a job for a backyard mechanic. I had a machinist clean and bore my block and install new cam bearings.
We're living in a day and age when people that can't afford new cars don't have the knowledge to fix their own stuff anymore. I don't like it.
Years ago I knew a couple of guys who used to play around with Hot Rods who did a lot of rebuilding
Here is one of the cars John did up then sold

I dont think you fix vehicles with spanners these days You have to tell the puter what to do which in turn fixes it

Attachments

• JOHNs DO UP.jpg
    JOHNs DO UP.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It is not as complicated as you might think, they are really rather fascinating. Or at least the auto tranny in a 86 buick t type was.
Maybe an old 70s turbo 350.
I've been watching this guy's channel for a long time and he freaking amazes me. I don't know how a person lives long enough to absorb the information that this guy's got. Every transmission changes every year different parts different channels different valves. The number of different types of transmissions is mind boggling with all the cars on the road today and he seems to know it all.
Watch him do a tear down.

Latest posts

Back