New slab/How long's the wait?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
I'm involved with a job that several tree roots have compromised a slab inside the house. So, a guy is tearing it out and pouring a new floor inside the house. They're wanting a vinyl floor throughout when it's time. It will have a plastic barrier under the cement.

What kind of ball park time frame could I give these folks as to when it will be dry enough to install the vinyl? I know there are many variables, but just some kind of idea is what they're asking for. Temps are getting warmer which will improve the situation. I've told them they'll have to keep the doors and windows open as much as they can stand too.

I've never ran into this before.

Darol, could take 3 months easy, unless they want to throw some dollars at it for something like a Koster mvrs; http://kosterusa.com/us_en/pgroup-9...jection+products,+oil+remediation+system.html

There's plenty of them out there but Koster I hear is the best.. Like our buddy Ken says, seal it and forget it. There's some that have upper limits and some need shot blasting or grinding to the correct profile first.

Ya got any Wagner Rapid Rh sensors around? If not you can order a kit, then sit and keep tabs on the rh until it is ready.

Last edited:
WOW! Wagner folks are proud of their product, aren't they. Dang!

Any idea what the '6.033 - KOSTER VAP I® 2000 FS' kit goes for? That seems to be what I would need if I went that route. I doubt these people will be wanting to wait 4 months, though, that just may be the case. I'll have to discuss it with them with these options and see which way they're willing to go.

So that product sticks to moisture laden cement?

WOW! Wagner folks are proud of their product, aren't they. Dang!

Any idea what the '6.033 - KOSTER VAP I® 2000 FS' kit goes for? That seems to be what I would need if I went that route. I doubt these people will be wanting to wait 4 months, though, that just may be the case. I'll have to discuss it with them with these options and see which way they're willing to go.

So that product sticks to moisture laden cement?

LOL Did you find the Rapid Rh Products http://www.wagnermeters.com/moisture-meters.php?category=1

It's the reader that costs alot, then the convience of being able to come back weeks, months even years later to read the sensor makes the sensors worth it. Especially as compared to a CaCl test.

Have no idea what Koster costs. Ya might want to check an outfit locally that sells building products.

Darol what I have that if a new slab is laid inside a building it takes months longer to dry as there is no direct sun drying the slab as compared to a new slab poured onto the ground then having the walls and roof built
. Lots less air movement as well

the answer is many months for a standard concrete mix poured 4" thick

I tend to agree with Jon-----many MORE months indooors

I understand the drying process can be quickened with various additives placed in the mix (not afterward)-------mainly calcium chloride.

I don't know much more specifically as to timeframes or about how that chemistry affects future bonding of our adhesives or the overall quality of the slab

I've heard about the systems for "sealing" green concrete and laying floors well before the slab has cured

All I really know is that it very high tech stuff and very expensive

Koester is the name I'd want to deal with.

It's been many years, but I remember something about green concrete would "eat" the backing on vinyl. That was from Armstrong at the vinyl school.

Great answers. The big commercial people will pull in dehumidifiers to help dry the slab cus the walls go up so fast especially in tilt-up construction. Thats the key thing that may help dry it faster is you have hvac already up and running. Is is still cold up there so they can use heat and fans?

WOW! For this little job it would add around 2 grand to the price at $7.30 a foot. I'll bet they'll patiently wait it out to save that kind of money.

Thanks for the research though. I'll pass it on to them. Ya never know.

Have ya gotter did yet, or are you gonna wait a while longer?
I got a reply of 1 month per inch on an engineering forum that I joined briefly.
...found out I was actually supposed to be an engineer to join it. :eek: I had a train set once when I was a kid, and apparently that's not what they meant. Got da boot, ....but only after my question was answered. :D

Don't forget its inside the house so its going to take longer than the standard theory of an inch a month for the concrete to dry as there would be less air movement and sun over the new concrete
Here people say the concrete has been down 4 months so it must be dry. There are also words that everybody conveniently forgets the building has to be water tight

Don't forget its inside the house so its going to take longer than the standard theory of an inch a month for the concrete to dry as there would be less air movement and sun over the new concrete
Here people say the concrete has been down 4 months so it must be dry. There are also words that everybody conveniently forgets the building has to be water tight

They could use large mirrors to angle the sunlight in there all day long. :D

They went on a loooong road trip and said they'd call me when they got back so I haven't seen it. I'm betting that sometime in August will be a good time to look at it. It's been hot here for a month and we still have more hot coming. I'll keep you posted.

It can be compared to acclimating wood flooring. It's not a time thing, it's a moisture content thing. It takes as long as it takes.

Well, I got'r done. The customer started testing it about two months ago and it just dropped to an acceptable moisture level for an install. Soooo...that took six months!!!! E-Gads!!! I guess it can be a general measuring stick for anything like this in the future. Like Dan said, it takes as long as it takes.

Just thought I'd let you know.:)

Latest posts

Back