NEW to Forum

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrtoma

Greetings, I am thinking hard about DYI floor replacement. I currently have low grade 5/8 in laminate which has cupped in a 364 sqft room(Looked great when I brought the home 6 years ago). It is over an 18in crawlspace in NE FL. The space does not have a 6 mil plastic barrier and is a major pain to get to. I am thinking of either 3/4 in 3 1/4 in Oak solid hardwood or LVP Flooret Modin. The subfloor is plywood and the few places I can get to are 10% on the moisture meter. The wood through the house is about 10% on average. Either way I will have to take up the old flooring, fun part it's stapled and the staples do not come up with board. They pull right through. I'll put down a quality vapor barrier. Any thoughts would be very welcomed. Thank you.

Last edited:
With an unsealed 18" crawl space I would not install solid wood.... Probably not even engineered wood. That caused the floor you have now to cup.
Use a vapor barrier made for flooring like you plan to buy. Don't use plastic sheeting.
I would call the manufacturers tech line and see what they would advise, especially with that shallow crawl space.

Latest posts

Back