New to the forum!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphav00

Hi guys. Just getting into here after hearing a couple other workers mention flooring forums. I read enough forums already, might as well so some for work.
I'm Alpha. From New Jersey. 24, and been doing flooring for 3 years now. Hoping to take it even further.

Hi guys. Just getting into here after hearing a couple other workers mention flooring forums. I read enough forums already, might as well so some for work.
I'm Alpha. From New Jersey. 24, and been doing flooring for 3 years now. Hoping to take it even further.

New Jersey, isn't that in the eastern part of Michigan? Welcome to the board Alpha.

Daris

Thanks everyone. Feels good knowing that not all floor installers are cave men. And that some of us know how to work a computer.

I hear that too often. But I enjoy it. Besides bad knees and dumb costumers, what other downfalls are there?

I hear that too often. But I enjoy it. Besides bad knees and dumb costumers, what other downfalls are there?
This isn't the worst trade......it's one of the worst though. So the advice is FIRST stay in school and get some kind of "professional" degree.

We aren't considered "professionals" by anyone.

We're BARELY recognized as a serious trade. For the most part our efforts are compensated accordingly. These are gross generalizations. Of course there are PLENTY of exceptions. I'm union and my wages are therefore ALMOST middle class. If I didn't own my house free and clear I doubt my present annual income would even qualify me for a loan to buy this same home.

The work is nasty but the most degrading part is the way we are generally treated by those "costomers" who's main goal is the lowest price on earth.

And those of us who worked for retailers, before we went independent, learned that "just get it on the floor, we have your back" , is one of the most often heard lies from retailers.
And if some yahoo off the street will install for 5 cents a yard less, the retailer will forget that you have done an outstanding job for years.
Just don't ever expect to respected and you won't be disappointed.

alphav00 said:
...what other downfalls are there?

Use your mind because it will be there long after your body betrays you. The first time your back locks up and you're frozen there on the floor in a cold sweat you'll understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:
the entire point of this pointless business is to use you up and throw you away---know this going in--and run---run like you stole something---run while your legs will still carry you

Kinda funny...all these old men saying, "NO! Don't do it!" Hey, I'm willing to say this business is a decent C or D career plan .

Alpha, where in jersey are you from? Invest in Pro Knees, your knees will never hurt again. Customers arent dumb they just see enough on the internet to be dangerous. Downfalls? I work when I want, coach soccer for my kids, and surf when the waves are good. It really sucks, get out while you can.

Latest posts

Back