Newbie Question - Please identify species

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonediesel

Hello, I just purchased a foreclosed home that has sat for 3 years. The house has never been lived in and has hardwood flooring. The flooring has not been sealed. There is a small amount of cupping that my untrained eye can see. I would like to know what species of wood it is and suggestions of products to seal/coat it with. We plan to have a local company do it but I want to at least have an idea of what I have and need done so that it appears as if I know what I am talking about. Thanks in advance for your time

kitchen P1090223.jpg

kitchen P1090224.jpg

living P1090246.jpg

Sorry I don't have an up close pic. What we are thinking we would like to do is distress the floor a bit, then sanded, stained so that the kitchen cabinets and trim don't blend in together. Then finally coated/sealed.

From here it looks as if it has been stained and finished. Isn't that stain i see on the wall between the cabinets?

I cropped the pic and enlarged it. I posted the last pic to show there is a little shine on the wood. Not sure if that is natural of if there may have been a coat of something applied to the wood.

kitchen P1090224 crop.jpg

The dark spots on the dry wall appear to be damage to the paint/drywall when the floor was installed maybe?

Thanks guys, my wife and I were hoping for ash and not pine. Supposedly there is a box of it left over in the basement. When we close on the house monday I will know for sure. We are trying to line up some contractors to start work on the house.

Well we closed later than expected and the floor guy finally made it in and Ash it is. He said the floor has 1-2 coats of sealer on it. the house forclosed before it was finished. I think the floor guys bailed on the contractor and the floor was not finished. We will have it sanded and start over. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back