No bevel edge in doorway.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Later in the week I'm going to be starting an installation of a loop pile carpet, not woven, and there are three bedrooms that are supposedly one piece, no seams. It's new home and there's three quarter inch hardwood in the hallway. I talked to the guy that did the hardwood and asked if he bevel the edges and he said no.
It'd sure be nice if hardwood guys would throw a quarter inch 45 degree bevel in the doorways. Anybody have a method of doing this after the fact? I have a Porter-Cable offset laminate trimmer but that still leaves an inch and a half or so on the right and left hand sides. I believe the flooring is hickory so that wouldn't make it any easier.
There's also a master bedroom and I assume that doorway will tuck to the wood also.
Is there any company that makes a bevel after the fact tool. 😁

Palm router with a 45• or a round over bit is prolly gonna be your best bet to put a bevel or ease the edge on it. My offset base lets me get within 5/8” and you could use a palm sander to finish off up to the jamb. Then you have to worry about applying finish to the bevel. How about just shimming up the carpet so the edge of the hardwood isn’t a toe popper.

What kind of hardwood guy doesn’t do stuff like that especially when asked? It’s not hard and makes all the difference in the world.

I knew nothing about the hardwood job or the carpet job at the time that the hardwood guy was working on it.i was shown how skinny the carpet was and then discovered there was hardwood going in the hallways. At that point I contacted the guy that was doing the hardwood and ask him if he had beveled the edges.
One of those typical, too late things.
One of those typical, nobody talks to each other things.
It's one of those, the carpet guy will figure it out things.
This is the router I have.
https://dylbs6e8mhm2w.cloudfront.net/productimages/500x500/593-7312.EPS.JPGI think I can get rubber carpet shims to raise it up. For a skinny loop pile carpet I'd have to raise it up a lot to make that sharp carpet edge look and feel right. I know there are at least four doorways that will need a modification. I suppose even a small bevel on the edge would help considerably. If saw some scraps of wood in the dumpster at the shop and it looks like a natural finish so it wouldn't need staining or anything, just to carefully wipe on or paint on some finish. Even a 1/8 inch face on the edge of the board would probably help a lot. Something that small would be able to be finished by hand maybe using my fine multimaster in the areas that the router can't touch. If one eighth of an inch feels comfortable then maybe I can get more aggressive and make the bevel wider.
I'm probably heading down to the job on Thursday. I'll try and get a scrap of wood in the meantime and do a test.

That router should get you pretty close to the edge. I have a Dewalt and a Bosch with that same style offset base and it gets me to within 5/8” of the edge. 1/8” or a 1/4” round over bit should do a nice job of easing the edge.

Use the router like CJ said and then use an ocillating tool to finish it out.
I was thinking that I could do that and use a 6-in drywall spreader to protect the paint or wood on the door casing.
The sanding pad on my Fein tool has a pretty worn out velcro surface. Maybe they've redesigned it because it seems like the paper fell off really easy even when new.

Latest posts

Back