not slippery for pets

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culeboards

The last time I bought a vinyl plank floor, I had to cover it with rugs due to its super slipperiness.
Now I'm doing a much larger room in the new house and want to avoid this mistake.
Do you know of a brand that specifically makes a grippy super textured LVP? Or should I switch to a different material? Not carpet though.
Most grateful!

If the product has a Sheen or a shine to it it's probably going to be too slippery. Coretec or Provenza brand flooring has a lower gloss level and might be something that works for you. They are on the cheap end of vinyl planks but they're pretty durable products.

I've worked on many veterinary projects in my career. Along the way I learned that dogs prefer a grippier surface to a flatter smoother surface. In fact, during one project with our local animal control department I learned that when being tested for aggression, dogs will more often test positive when the testing is conducted on slicker flooring surfaces such as vinyl. As a result they chose to use rubber flooring in certain areas of the facility.

What I was told by the docs involved was that when the dog doesn't feel secure in its footing it develops an aggressive defensive posture and during the testing for aggression this can translate to a more aggressive test result.

I think the challenge you would have with rubber in a home, depending on your decor, would be finding something that didn't look too institutional.

Another good alternative would be cork. My own preference in cork is to have the cork mounted on a backing system. There's a company called Wicanders who does a nice job with this format. I also found it incredibly scratch resistant. I actually took a car key to some and couldn't really damage it.

I wish you the best with your project and hope you find the perfect solution.

Latest posts

Back