Nutjob Job Offer

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
So this guy calls me a few days ago with a Jersey area code asking me if I want to slave labor for him doing Lowes work. Says he and his three helpers can't keep up and he is over 60 something years old.....needs help and cunt find anyone qualified that can pass a back ground check and speaks english. :D

I ask what he wants to pay. Turns out its like 90 centavos a sqft for laminate. I tell him I want 2 fitty minimum. He says thats 1995 prices and you can't get that here. I say, I just finished one that rang out gross over tree bucks a sqft after carpet/base demo and all that. Silence.......... can you give me an hourly? F NO, your the reason prices are so staggering F'ing low dude. Go back to Jersey. :eek:

Then he starts throwing names out of some other Big honcho contractors here who do Lowes and HD. Yea, you know who I'm talking about. I say, F those assholes too. If I did work for Lowes then I wouldnt be able to do all those inspections on the shit jobs you guys do. lol

The nerve........

Last edited:
Had one call me the other day offering $1.10 a ft for nail down .
Told him he had dialed the wrong number and hung up . :mad:

Should be as much as a hardwood floor. Just because it has a locking mechanism you still have to go through the same motions to install it. And it does install the same way ie; undercut, floor flatness etc.

This is just more of the coporate worlds way of screwing installers out of money. It's difficult for white collar workers to see blue collar guys making as much or more then they are.

And people who work for those box stores are helping undermine wage increases. So they deliver the product to the consumers house, big F'ing deal.

I almost opened my mouth too soon here and got myself in trouble. Ernie, how can i private msg you? Without saying too much in open forum, ill gladly give you all the info you want. For everyone else, this was definitely NOT me and those prices are ridiculous.

Hey Ken, sorry if the shoe fits. I mean it was not about you. Every guy like you claim runs his team differently. Pays more or less depending. But to call a guy like me who is licensed and offer him crap pay like that is an insult at best.
I mean if I wanted I could be in his shoes. All I have to so is get a storage unit ands store some pad or not if I only wanted to do hard surface.

But really, if I make more than he does on my own jobs without even selling/mark-ups why the hell would I want to cut my own throat working for box stores? I get more per sqft thasn he does right off the bat because he is giving money to his middleman (probably like you), the box store or whom ever is involved.

I'm actually glad he called because now I know how much they are hurting. Not to mention the inspections I do. I can tell they cant find qualified installers. But they are not the only ones. Lots of mom and pop stores cant find qualified installers either because why?

Did CFI even get into this business transaction bit with you? Probably not since the two biggest box store offenders out here are cfi. I'm sure they make f'ing enourmous amount of money. Good for them. The installers sure arn't.

Last edited:
I make more per foot on my box installs than I do on my private jobs. Im definitely not hurting, being booked for a couple months out. The guy gave you a low ball offer, dont be mad, be happy you dont need the business. Not everyone that works for box stores are hacks. Im sure there are plenty of hacks that dont work for box stores.

I make more per foot on my box installs than I do on my private jobs. Im definitely not hurting, being booked for a couple months out. The guy gave you a low ball offer, dont be mad, be happy you dont need the business. Not everyone that works for box stores are hacks. Im sure there are plenty of hacks that dont work for box stores.

Not sure what your getting from the box. But if your not making more on your own something is seriously wrong.

I'm not mad, just lets say perturbed at the mindset of installers when it comes to letting box stores dictate labor.
When I do inspections people show me reciepts. They are making as much as you are when the final figure comes down.

Not sure what your getting from the box. But if your not making more on your own something is seriously wrong.

I'm not mad, just lets say perturbed at the mindset of installers when it comes to letting box stores dictate labor.
When I do inspections people show me reciepts. They are making as much as you are when the final figure comes down.

You aren't figuring time spent "shopping" for customers then scratching around for materials and supplies. TRAVEL time, estimating, sales pitches, negotiations......... Different horses perform best on different courses.

If a guy says he's making out BETTER having the corporations do his sales, promotion, warehouse, distribution and legwork the way I read that is he's BLASTING out some production making better bucks with the TOOLS than he could on the PHONE, FAX, EMAIL, HERSHEY HIGHWAY and some little old ladies bargaining table.

To each his own.

I have work show up in my inbox by the boatload on a daily basis. I never have to hunt for work. I like doing my own installs outside of the store because I can sell materials that I like. As far as receipts are concerned, right now my stores are selling basic labor (no rip or molding) for $.99/sq if the customer buys one of two brands of laminate. I still make my regular rate so theyre not making anything on my labor, Im sure they make it up in the margin on the product but whatever promos they run for the customers have no effect on what I make.

Nothings wrong with what I charge ($2/sq) standard around these parts are about $1.50/sq but weve got lowballers who'll go down to $.75-$.99/sq. I can lay around 500sq in a day by myself without any helpers going in other rooms or doing rip out so $1000 for a days work is ok in my book.

I have work show up in my inbox by the boatload on a daily basis. I never have to hunt for work. I like doing my own installs outside of the store because I can sell materials that I like. As far as receipts are concerned, right now my stores are selling basic labor (no rip or molding) for $.99/sq if the customer buys one of two brands of laminate. I still make my regular rate so theyre not making anything on my labor, Im sure they make it up in the margin on the product but whatever promos they run for the customers have no effect on what I make.

Nothings wrong with what I charge ($2/sq) standard around these parts are about $1.50/sq but weve got lowballers who'll go down to $.75-$.99/sq. I can lay around 500sq in a day by myself without any helpers going in other rooms or doing rip out so $1000 for a days work is ok in my book.
I HATE laminate but even with all the BS garbage material, defects and related hassles if you could line me up with unlimited production at $2 a foot I'd make out VERY well. My problem with piece rate work is like myself at an all-you-can-eat brunch with champagne, prime rib, shrimp----------I'll DIE before I walk out of there.

Some people can't learn when to say enough is enough. So I work by the hour.

Last edited:
As far as receipts are concerned, right now my stores are selling basic labor (no rip or molding) for $.99/sq if the customer buys one of two brands of laminate. I still make my regular rate so theyre not making anything on my labor, Im sure they make it up in the margin on the product but whatever promos they run for the customers have no effect on what I make.

And carpet installation is truthfully free as well, right? lol

The $2/sq is what Lowes pays your out there? Or is it just what you charge on yoru own work? What does the $2/sq include, just installation of the laminate or is it carpet demo/disposal/R&R base/furniture/floorprep?

Is that 500/sq a day in an open room after floor prep/base and carpet removal? In how many hours, 20? :rolleyes:

Carpet installation is actually free. My guy still makes his regular rate. I'm sure its made up in the margin.

I charge $2/sq basic labor, not counting rip or molding. I get more than that from the store even with the $.99 promo they run

I said 500 sqft without ripout, that's what helpers are for. My record is 1000 sqft in one day, no rip or prep. It was a big open basement and I just flew. Those jobs almost never come along though, lol.

Carpet installation is actually free.

Right lol :D

So if I buy the stocked carpet off the rack you'll install it for free? Man, now they got installers believing it.

I have actually had consumers call me up and ask how much I would charge if they had their own carpet, after I told them one lady said, well lowes said will do it for free. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back