Nutjob Job Offer

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's not say the "L" word. We don't want to get anyone in trouble. To answer your question, yes, if you pick a stock carpet from the list of whatever carpet is part of the promo (usually stainmaster) you can have it installed for free (sometimes its $97 for the whole house). It's just basic labor that's free. It didn't include rip out or furniture but if the room's empty (alot of customers empty the rooms) you get free installation.

We get paid per foot to install tackstrip but we have to supply it. The customer doesn't have to buy the strips.

Well I think thats freakin fantastic that installers finally get paid to install strip. Probably no one else does in the nation cept for a few high dollar independents I know of.

But are we being truthful to Joe Public when parts of the "freebie" is actually covered by other aspects or materials that are marked up to cover the "freebies'?

I won't say the name but on an inspection I read a reciept that said the consumer was getting charged to install ( in effect roll out) the underlayment.

Dang, and all this time I been giving away money when I could be charging to roll out underlayment on laminate jobs. Perhaps I should charge to roll out pad on carpet jobs. :D

Lol, I've never been paid extra to install underlayment. That definitely wasn't one of my stores. Although maybe they charge differently throughout the country? It's funny because we get paid for things I wouldn't think to charge for on my own jobs. As far as a free or reduced install, the materials weren't marked up more than usual from what I saw. I think they just buy so much at a time that the vendors gave them an even better price than usual.

The box stores here charge a ton for all extras,strip, metal, etc they even have a charge for carrying the carpet up a flight of stairs :D

and when they have a sale for $99 install of a whole house the labor is built into the price of the carpet. [ everyone with any sense knows this ] and they just rip the customer for an additional $99.

I have a friend whom worked for Haynes Furniture Co. and they sell ' Karastan" carpet [ valued at $30 sq yd] with free pad and labor with 4 years SAC finance for $15 sq yd. They are actually selling a 18 oz plush Olifen {value $5 ] with 6lb cushion.:D Karastan my ---

Honestly, most of the customers that want that free install are hard up enough to empty the room for the guys. If they dont care enough to, then theyre picking a crazy expensive carpet anyway and dont care about the extras, lol.

So here's the deal with laminate as I see it. Your getting 2 bucks, thats great. I get that here most times but not sure of the cost of living verses here and there. You can make some bank doing laminate if you know what your doing.

Fact is back in the old days when click was coming out and well, I could do glue laminate just as fast as installing wood, the price was nearly the same as a wood install. Course the planks were also wide back then. I was at a seminar at Surfaces for laminate, I think back in the late 90's. The question was presented; Are the laminate manufacturers going to present this as a DIY product in the future essentially trying to eliminate the installer" The answer as a resounding NO by all the big laminate manufacturers then. Even Lew Migliore was up there defending the man. I believe Scott Tullis was sitting next to me. . The box stores got ahold of it, presented it as easier that making instant pudding. All the sudden pricing for sqft of laminate dropped by half

So theres the story I am PO'd about. When we install floors like this we are going through the same motions, or near similar as a wood install yet we are getting screwed by corporate because as they see it it is easier and any dumbass DIY can do it. So then all the chickens line up to be slaughtered.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back