oak hardwood/oil poly problem

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejayman

I could really use some help, please. I have oak hardwood floors in my house that I have just refinished. I sand/stripped them to bare wood. Cleaned and prepped them for no stain natural look. I used oil based poly and applied 3 coats. I allow 8 hours between coats as product directed. After it had dried for 24 hours I've had a chance to look at it in the sunlight, and it looks crappy to me. The finish has bubbles, thin spots, streaks, and now the dog ran down the hall and left claw marks in the finish. Obviously I did not did not apply coats evenly and as smoothly as hoped. And it could have dried longer or maybe the last coat was too thick. But what is done is done. My question is can the floors be fixed without scuffing and applying another coat? (I have 3 dogs, 2 kids and a nagging wife, the smell and lose of half my house was painful). Can the floors be polished or buffed to hide these imperfections? And if so, how? thanks for any suggestions, Jason

i am not a hardwood guy but i know a little---the 8 hour figure seems low--i believe its 24 hrs for oil---a lot less for water based poly---the coats must be thin and even---air bubbles indicate the poly was shaken---it is critical to sand between coats---usually a screen on a buffing machine---can the floor be fixed?---yes---without a minimum of screening the top layer?---no---can poly be polished or buffed?---no---wax finishes can be buffed---you already chose another path-----all is not lost---wait for warm weather so you can open windows and send the wife and kids away for a weekend----im sure real hardwood guys will be along soon enough

Lambswool for Oil. Screen first coat only . 24 hrs is correct , Depending on the RH ,and temp in the house It has to be dry though .1] Air bubbles can also be caused by back pulling the finish . 2] soap or some other contaminant was not removed before coating .3]Applying hot oil modified finish to a cold floor . 4] Applying finish to a hot floor . 5] Overworking finish during application . 6]air movement across the floor that drys bubbles into place before they can flow out .7] Floor not screened or sufficiently cleaned Before coats .

Pick one .

Latest posts

Back