Odd customer

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Ever have an odd customer?

Had a customer who lived in Calif. and owned a bank in Missouri. He had a big expensive house here. 3 or 4 times a year he would come back and spend a week here. Always had a new girlfriend. He would call just before he went back west to tell me his new girlfriend did not like the carpet and he had bought new. I would go install it, his maid would have the house painted and change the drapes. Happened every time he came back. The maid got all the "old" carpet and drapes. She also got paid $300 a week to feed the 2 birds he had here and to keep the vacant house clean.

Had and old millionaire customer that we installed a patterned Milliken carpet. A week later he had it all ripped up because someone told him that it didn't go well with the painting over his fire place. It was removed and stored and his wife said they would put it down after he passed. Installed new. He passed a month later. If carpet was replaced it was by someone else. I didn't do it. He gave us a bigger tip than what the labor came to on the original job.

Daris

My account manager at Prosource, nice lady says all my clients are odd balls. I guess I attract them. :confused:

I was actually doing a wood job afew weeks ago and had the home owner telling me what board to put down and pulled out the ones she didnt like. Ended up 6 boxes short. Nightmare job. Lol

I would have told her to rack the floor and call me when it was ready .

Walked off my share of jobs where people would stand right next to you while you were trying to work . Of course it was after the second warning to get out of my way.

Thats one thing that hasnt happend yet. My dad brother an i have never walked off a job. Oh another one i had was a couple that had a fenced in yard and tried to blame us for letting there dog out. They also didnt understand that my brother an i dont do carpet

A week after completing a tile installation (many years ago) I went to the flooring store that doled the job to me to collect my pay as usual. My mail box was empty. I asked the secretary about my check and she told me they weren't going to pay me for that particular job. When I asked why she told me the customer was irate because we had allowed flies to get in her house and now the entire interior must be painted. Oh, and we left a McDonald's bag on her patio.

I began to go into a slow-burn. We talked a little more and then I telephoned the stores owner. He told me the same thing his secretary had just told me.

In a short time I had convinced him that I could quickly reduce his entire frigging showroom to rubble before the police could get there to stop me (if anyone was able to call the police to begin with.) I told him I would be starting with all of the plate glass windows that wrapped the building and then continue with the office file cabinets and furniture.

He immediately called his secretary and told her to write my check. That was more or less the end of our relationship.:D

This is what happens when clients start to tell me what planks to lay where. Then they have to make me lunch too.

54245-Bamboo%20012.jpg

Had a bathroom door off and was finishing the carpet in the doorway. A teenaged girl stepped over me, pulled down her pants and proceeded to do her business directly in front of me. Grinned at me. When she was done, pulled up her pants, stepped over me and left. There were 2 other bathrooms in the house.

Had a bathroom door off and was finishing the carpet in the doorway. A teenaged girl stepped over me, pulled down her pants and proceeded to do her business directly in front of me. Grinned at me. When she was done, pulled up her pants, stepped over me and left. There were 2 other bathrooms in the house.

That's pretty crazy.

Thats when it is time to leave. You could be in a lot of trouble if you didn't anymore.

Daris

When I was doing repairs in public housing, a maintenance man had to go with me. My rule.

I used to do womens dorms at the Uof A in the summer. We thought most of them were gone. All the sudden a girl walks out of the showers ( not in a decent manner) and screams "MAN IN THE HALLWAY !!!"

Scared the shyt out of me. I almost ran out the door. But then we all had a good laugh about it.

Last edited:
Steel mill magnate had an A-frame cabin near here many many years ago.
They had come down for the weekend as we were working there.
I heard a begging shreek from upstairs, and like Superman, made my way up as quick as I could. Lady was wearing a 'barely' towel, and screamed about a bat in the bathroom.............. using a towel (not hers) and a broom, I contained the 30lb vampire bat and wrestled it to the ground ricking my own life in the process. I was able to get that powerful, rabid animal outside the home .............I'm not just sure how I survived, but once outside it flew away and we never saw it again.

So anyway, I saved this guys wife from certain death, and after the job was done.......... no thank you, no tip, no nothing.
Heck the guy was outside the entire time feedin the trout in the pond. His wife almost died and I don't think she even told him about her brush with death. :rolleyes:

Nope, that's the best I got since the early 80's.

Latest posts

Back