Odd Flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeniorLawClerk

Hello everyone,
I was called to a condo to inspect some flooring damaged by a water leak. When I arrived I was informed that the leak occurred a couple of years ago and that the management just started the repair process.
The flooring in the hallway at the main entrance has a slope, as does the hallway leading to the condo unit. However, the condo floor is level. I was shown the damaged area and saw something I've never seen before. It looks like ordinary hardwood flooring, BUT it is not. It's like very thin pieces of laminate glued down on; what I presume to be quasi-joists used to level the floor. The "joists" are very close together; almost butted up to one another, and the laminate is barely 1/8".
I will try to attach photos here. I am new to this site as I stumbled upon it looking for answers as to what this floor could be, how it's laid, and where I might find some.
Any help is welcome!!
Thanks
:confused:

IMAG1263.jpg

IMAG1266.jpg

IMAG1262.jpg

IMAG1264.jpg

IMAG1272.jpg

Never saw anything like that before. It looks like some kind of a pine board--------not a laminate because it's solid 1/8" so its almost like a veneer. Can't see well what's underneath. Looks like............Hell, the pictures are way to fuzzy. Why even guess?

Any name on the back side of the planks? Is there a locking mechanism milled into it or a tongue and groove?Looks like someone had extra floor joist material like pine. You could definitely put a huge safe on top of that.

@Earnesto Nope, no writing on the back, no locking mechanisms like tongue and groove. I'm fairly confident that the "joists" we see visible was the method used to level the floor. The rest of the building on that side (lobby, and hallway) has a cement floor with a 25* slope.
@Incognito sorry for the one bad photo, didn't realize the quality was that bad until I returned to the office. But thanks for your help in pointing that out... It is exactly as you say, it's like some sort of veneer glued down...

it looks like an old school engineered floater---just ripped some out a while ago---planks were glued like the original pergo

green-kahrs-multilayer-construction-565x250.jpg
How wide are these "joist" looking things. Sounds like an engineered wood floor with a core of individual strips of filler like Hartco used to make. Same manufacturing method as Kahrs wood floors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back