Oiled hardwood floor product - application method

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pascal_floor

Hi guys after having a very insightful conversation with CJ in the member introduction section i went ahead and followed his guidance regarding brands to buy. For now we bought into the Bona cleaning solution and we are in communication with a WOCA rep to get more infor on some of their products.

One thing i cant wrap my head around is the application method WOCA is recommending :

WOCA Oil refresher application

WOCA soap application

Seems like everywhere i look online the consensus is to never use much water on wood floors as it will most certainly damage it in some way. Can you guys chip in on why WOCA doesnt seem to follow that consensus and secondly if you would trust their application method on your own floors?

Many thanks

A one time, or a once every 6 months??, wet mop won’t hurt a solid hardwood floor. To be fair I didn’t see them just slopping the water on but it did appear to be a good thorough soapy mop job with a two bucket method recommended.

I approve of WOCA’s recommended mopping process even though I don’t clean floors like that. I also deal with a lot of laminate floors that are much more prone to moisture damage than a solid hardwood floor so I just don’t wet mop as a general rule.

A one time, or a once every 6 months??, wet mop won’t hurt a solid hardwood floor. To be fair I didn’t see them just slopping the water on but it did appear to be a good thorough soapy mop job with a two bucket method recommended.

I approve of WOCA’s recommended mopping process even though I don’t clean floors like that. I also deal with a lot of laminate floors that are much more prone to moisture damage than a solid hardwood floor so I just don’t wet mop as a general rule.
You are a true MVP sir. Thank you for insight. The WOCA rep gave us a whole bunch of nice detailed info so we will buy into their soap / oil / mop products for our "heavy maintenance" care and keep bona for our daily / weekly clean up.

Edit : might be usefull for other newcomers i found this summary video pretty usefull for oiled floor maintenance

Cheers !

Last edited:
Thanks for being so thoughtful by adding that video. I think it will take a lot of fear out of buying an oiled floor. It's more maintenance so some will like it and those that hate "maintenance' will just go with poly.
Great video.

I’ve seen several instances where people purchase oil finished hardwood floors yet they have no clue that they have to maintain them. Not much difference between a floor and a butcher block or a counter top that needs maintenance.

I’ve seen several instances where people purchase oil finished hardwood floors yet they have no clue that they have to maintain them. Not much difference between a floor and a butcher block or a counter top that needs maintenance.
I dont know if many people were like me but we were under the impression that as a homeowner all you could do was basicly take soapy water and mop and wash your floors weekly and if you wanted to give your floors a refresh you had to hiring a pro to sand + refinish them. We had to f them up with a steam mop to start looking into it.

I wasnt even aware you had different type of wood finish other than having reel hardwood and engineered floor. Goes to show you that knowledge is power.

For some reason finding reliable and clear info on how to maintain your floors isnt as simple as one would think. Fortunately for those wanting to learn a forum like this is a great resource.

One would think that retailers and manufacturers would explain in detail how to maintain a wood floor. It's to their benefit, not just the customers.

One would think that retailers and manufacturers would explain in detail how to maintain a wood floor. It's to their benefit, not just the customers.
I hope most of them do when someone originally buys the floor. I assume the main issue comes when you arent the first owner of the house and you dont have any info on the floors you have (ie no left over box, not manufacturer info, etc).

If i made wood floors, i would include a Qcard in each or my boxes that summarize the key items for maintenance and would provide a qr code that leads to a comprehensive tutorial video :). That way you can simply keep the qcard in your records and pass it along when you sell the house.

Latest posts

Back