only $14,000

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro

26167756_559923894351920_4785457560907848156_n.jpg

26239857_559923927685250_2414273512835162125_n.jpg

I had a 70 340 cu swinger that turned in the mid 12s after a little work..

Don't think i could handle the Rat ..:(

My speed odometer had a pin that stop it at 160 .. I hit that and it was still winding ..

Car was a freak . came out of the showroom turning in the 14s.

Had Slicks on it , Lent it to a broad in the rain who ran it up the pole guideline wire at the red light .. Flipped it on it's back .. :(

Back in the 80s I was buying cars slated for auction from a dealer. Bought a 4 door Olds sedan. Thought it was odd, no radio and had new seats, also new paint. Took it out on the road. At about 60, if you stomped it, it would burn rubber. Wondered if it had been a police car. Could peg out the speedometer.

Had a convertible with a 318 in it .. Great engine .
My dad taught me how to work on cars. ...brakes, setting points, gapping plugs, setting the valves with the engine running and I watched him use a feeler gauge setting the valves on the old '53 Chevy pickup. It had an overhead valve inline 4 (Nelly Bell)
Dad would do everything but carburetors.
A mechanic adjusted the carburetor on his Coca Cola work truck once during a routine tuneup and Dad said that truck never ran the same again.
One day at age 13 or 14, Dad let me to a total tuneup on the Dodge Coronet. It had the 318. I had plugs, points, cap, rotor, oil and filter, air filter.
All the time I was working on the car, the two screws on the front of the carburetor were talking to me..... kinda like the frozen pipe telling you to put your tongue on it. :D
With everything else completed, the two screws made me cave in......... I screwed em in 1/4 turn at a time. Nothing happened right away. After going back and forth a few times adjusting the screws, the engine stopped running. It was dead!:eek:
It was 3:30pm. Dad would be home soon. :eek:
Long story short, before Dad got home, I swear I could have balanced a nickle on the air cleaner. The car probably didn't run that smooth from the factory. Glad that I did exactly what Dad told me not to do. I learned a lot from that experience.
Never been scared of mechanical stuff since then. Dad never taught me how to rebuild an engine, but I've done two complete rebuilds of a Chevy small block. Gotta learn some things on your own I guess.
I spent 80 hours totally reshaping the intake and exhaust ports on a brand new set of heads. I saw the redesigned port shape in a book.......... and I just had to try it. Probably gained a good 30 hp and the engine sounded totally different.
..........what was the topic again? :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back