opinions please

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floorz

I have an area inside my house that was covered with manufactured and presealed saltillo tile. We had it colorized and resealed several years ago, but now we're unhappy with the color and want something different. It cants be stripped because of the presealed topping on the original tile. I painted 8 of the tiles with a valspar latex floor and patio paint that was color matched to a different authentic saltillo floor. The color is fantastic and looks great. On top of that I used 2 coats of a high gloss Miracle Sealant. Does anyone have any idea how long that will last and/or if this is a bad idea? After the sealer dried it looks good, but I'm concerned about doing the whole floor without getting some advice first.

Doesn’t Saltillo tile allow moisture to transfer through it? That would have me concerned with painting it with something that would prevent the natural transfer of moisture. I recall a basement we carpeted over Saltillo tile and we used a spill proof pad that ended up trapping moisture underneath it. There was standing water when we went back to remove the pad. I can only imagine painting the tiles would potentially lead to a similar problem.

Pre sealed or post sealed, I think you can strip the tiles and start over. Prolly worth giving Saltillo Joe a call.

I see a lot of Saltillo tile here in Southern California. Generally it's HEAVILY sealed over with repeated coats of some type of sealer. I know most of those can be stripped an re-sealed but the specifics of that process are well beyond my expertise. I do know that they are very porous.

I just Googled "Saltillo Joe" and he sure seems like the guy who would know.

Latest posts

Back