Orcon tape recomendation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I use XK 50 for virtually everything. Never really had any problems using it.
I usually make seams on a board, so the seams are always flat.
I made a comment here or on another webside....... can't recall the name at the moment, about using XK 50 and was surprised at the comments. Why use such a heavy tape? .............well, it works.

That said, some of Orcons tape usage descriptions are so too vague or my taste.

I want the best tape. I also want the best tape for any particular carpet installation. If XK 50 is overkill for a patterned cut and loop carpet in a residence, then what's more appropriate?
Carpet I am currently working with is more cut than loop, and has a 2 1/4 inch repeat, alternating brick looking pattern. It's also a softback. There's a nice purple rubber pad under it.

I have a part roll of Orcon K20. Is that a better choice than XK 50 for this type of installation?
I'm just so used to XK 50, that other tapes feel inferior. My concern is tape profiling because this carpet needs seams in places where I don't want them. (no choice tho, more carpet should have been ordered)

There's two head seams, 3 feet apart in a hallway. There's a light source at the end of the hallway coming from a bedroom. I will do one of these seams supported underneath with a board before I fold it down the hallway.

How come Orcons tape descriptions seem so similar. Why doesn't one of their tapes say something like, "Best and strongest tape for low profile and commercial carpets" I feel the wider tape like XK 50 helps to keep the seams from peaking. The K20 is narrower.

I'm curious which Orcon tape you use for a carpet like this. It has to be Orcon, because that's all anyone stocks round these here parts.

If profiling is a problem use a urethane tape SU-90 [?]. Very low profile, low heat,#2 setting maximum, and really holds. I agree Xk-50 I think is a little heavy, this coming from a guy that used to use Super 3 in 6" tape, but it worked for me. I haven't used a 6" iron in probably 12 years, anybody still use them?

Daris

If profiling is a problem use a urethane tape SU-90 [?]. Very low profile, low heat,#2 setting maximum, and really holds. I agree Xk-50 I think is a little heavy, this coming from a guy that used to use Super 3 in 6" tape, but it worked for me. I haven't used a 6" iron in probably 12 years, anybody still use them?

Daris

Only used a 6" iron a couple times. Saw no advantage to it at all.

Daris
Being thicker adhesive and wider, I figured the XK50 has more ability to control peaking. That's another concern about using a narrower tape like K20. I've never used K20, and am a little nervous about switching to an unfamiliar tape for two really important seams. I don't have a second chance on this job.
Also, about the urethane tape. That's a low temp tape, right? Softback needs the heat. Not sure if anyone here stocks it anyway.

Last edited:
Being thicker adhesive and wider, I figured the XK50 has more ability to control peaking. That's another concern about using a narrower tape like K20. I've never used K20, and am a little nervous about switching to an unfamiliar tape for two really important seams. I don't have a second chance on this job.
Also, about the urethane tape. That's a low temp tape, right? Softback needs the heat. Not sure if anyone here stocks it anyway.

Not really with a urethane tape. That is why the Koolglide works so well on softback. KG is low temp. The adhesive is probably the same formulation as the rest of the urethanes. Plus if this is one of the soft fibers I don't think I would want to use a high temp tape. The thing is make sure you clean your iron of the old themo before using a urethane, they aren't to compatible with one another

Daris

Koolglide for me is too "experimental" Not that it doesn't work. I just haven't liked using it. I'm not a fan of it except for repairs, because unlike a traditional iron, you can't see what you're doing.

If I recall correctly the Orcon is the stinky tape?

During my last times at installing lots of crapet I was using the urethane tapes alot as it had just come out, lots of softback. I liked it.

I think you should be a pro and hand sew those seams.

If I recall correctly the Orcon is the stinky tape?

During my last times at installing lots of crapet I was using the urethane tapes alot as it had just come out, lots of softback. I liked it.

I think you should be a pro and hand sew those seams.

I have a Voodoo doll that looks exactly like you.
............and I have needles.

I went out to Col for a year . Long time ago . All my seems were coming apart .
The shop sent their foremen out to look at one of the jobs . It was the tape .

Said you can't use that stuff at this altitude. :mad:

I used CT 11sb for a while and the tape would just split right down the middle. Was yours splitting or just not sticking, Nick?
The adhesive in it was made with corn starch. I always figured that is why dogs went after the seams, it probably smelled like dog food to them.

Splitting down the middle . Stuck to the sides . Pissed me off i went out there with a brand new box of tape .

I used CT 11sb for a while and the tape would just split right down the middle. Was yours splitting or just not sticking, Nick?
The adhesive in it was made with corn starch. I always figured that is why dogs went after the seams, it probably smelled like dog food to them.

They still make that stuff. I'm sure they must have improved it since then....... that gave them a really bad reputation. Yup, it was the hot thing here for a few years till we saw the doorways seams splitting open. How would you know that it's crap until it fails?

Latest posts

Back