Orcon tape recomendation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw photos of the needles E. There bigger then the doll.:D

.......and they're dull and rusty. :eek:

I got ballzie and used the KoolGlide. I did four 1 foot long test seams on a scrap using the same low heat setting and two different tapes and done over the slab rubber pad.
I used the narrower tape for three of them and the wide tape for the last one.
The narrower tape has more adhesive in the center of the tape. This seam was a head seam. My regular seam iron and XK50 tape made the seam shrink open ever so slightly................... so did the KoolGlide with the thin tape. I tried the wider tape and that didn't happen.

So I committed myself to using the KoolGlide on the seam. Immediately before putting the seam together, I grabbed my test pieces and pulled on them to see how they behaved with the softback... It was like I used some blue painters tape. I was not impressed at all. They all came apart with the fleece attached o the tape, but with the action back almost unscathed. :mad:
Had I used the second heat setting the seam would have seriously shrunk open.......... again, this is a head seam. Head seams are a lot more prone to shrinking from the heat of an iron.
I went out to the van and got my butane torch out and quickly heated the fleece along each side of the seam to vaporize it. No, .......I didn't damage the carpet backing. This could easily burn the backing, so my advice to novices............. "don't try this at home" :D You need to wave the torch very quick to barely shrink the fleece.
I did this on a test piece first and the seam strength was now very good. Being stuck to the action back instead of the fleece made the tape work.
The seam turned out very nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back