Painting slate tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgegirl

Is it possible to paint slate tile and also the grout lines? If so, what kind of paint? Do I have to use primer?

download.jpg
One of the tile guys should be able to guide you ..

I don't think the grout would be a problem because it's never walked on. There are porch and garage paints so I can't see slate as any different.
Where is the slate located? ...bathroom, entry, kitchen? What's it look like and what effect are you trying to achieve?

It is black slate with white grout. The grout looks dirty and ugly. Cant keep it clean. It is located in my bathroom.

Personally I'd probably try to do something with the grout instead of coating the slate. White is too much contrast. Better off with dark gray. How big is the bathroom?
Here's some info for you.
https://www.askthebuilder.com/change-tile-grout-color/
I suppose how well stain will work probably depends on if the slate was sealed, and how old it is. Cleaning seems to be the most important part and not getting the stain on the slate....... only on the grout, which means you need to be careful.
I think paint would smooth out the grout texture and give a cheap look.

Last edited:
Grout paint is sold at Box stores and there are pro's that paint it like Grout Busters I've had people say just put in gray grout because they are going to paint it with an acrylic type paint. Clean-up is super easy.
As for the slate, I think that would be a huge mistake.

Thanks everyone. I think im gonna just use a darker grout. My slate is not sealed cause I like the natural look. I was told I should always use sealer on slate and it will be hard to grout because if you get on slate it might stain. Do I have to use sealer? If so is their one that is not shiny.

I don't think they make a sealer that looks like it's not there, but they make lower sheen sealers. Are you sure the floor wasn't sealed? I know some stone products need to be pre sealed so the grout doesn't stick to the surface. Also, if the white grout was sealed, I don't know if a grout stain would work very well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R5BGWUY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua Mix makes an Epoxy Grout Stain that should work. We use it on fire damaged jobs to recolor the soot damaged grout .

I would think the Slate would have a sealer on it, it should if it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back