Parquet Restoration

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francois Du Toit

Hi, I recently had my parquet floors sanded and sealed. Now...it turns milky white in the afternoon...Any ideas what is happening...or how to fix it? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190208_170421.jpg
    20190208_170421.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 149
By the looks of the center where the sun hits it is a clue. Without checking the basement or crawl space(if there is one) which may contribute to the finish not drying properly is that they put a second coat of finish on before the first one dried. Very common issue.

Hi Ernest. Thanks for the reply. No basement or crawl space. The wood floor is on top of a concrete slab. Is there a way to remove the sealer without having to sand the whole floor again?

How long between coats? I take it the old finish wasn't a problem? Your gonna have to at least screen it, wait to dry out and then recoat.

CLOUDY FINISH What it is: The finish appears cloudy or milky. Cause: • Applying finish over a coat that isn’t dry enough to be recoated yet. • Applying waterborne finish during very high relative humidity or over a floor that is too cold to be coated. • Applying an oil/solvent-based finish during very high relative humidity, causing condensation on the surface of the drying coating. This will leave a dull appearing finish once the finish is dry, often referred to as “blushing.” Abrade/screen and recoat, being sure to increase the dry time between coats. Check with a damp rag before abrading/reapplying finish to make sure the cloudiness has disappeared..
You screen Parquet on a 45 degree .. hit it with a 60 grit , then a 80 ..

Latest posts

Back