Peel and stick vinyl tile

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I bought http://low.es/1M3Y8Pz for a 450sq ft basement. It's going on new http://thd.co/1Pol89Q
Do I need extra adhesive or primer or what do u recommend as the review for the tile is 1* to 5* and I want it to go well.
Thanks.
Is this a single layer floor........... just the OSB? It shows T&G. That product is not designed to have vinyl flooring stuck onto it even if prepped and primed.
You can't install a vinyl floor over a single layer floor over joists if that's what is happening. A single layer T&G floor will flex and expand and contract between the joists.
If this is your situation, you must add another layer of plywood on top of the OSB creating a second layer. That second layer of plywood must be installed in a way to offset the top layer of plywood (called underlayment) over the lower layer of OSB (called the subfloor)
Vinyl products, be it sheet or vinyl tile, require a two layer floor system........ The first layer is called the subfloor, and the top layer is called the underlayment.
You said this is a basement............. this adds confusion to the situation. Most basements have concrete floors. Yours apparently does not, or is it on sleepers? Give some additional details on the room's flooring structure so we can help more.

Last edited:
Hi I have this floor https://www.dropbox.com/s/puppt3eh9odubbe/2017-01-20 16.35.32.jpg?dl=0
...as it's over uneven concrete. Its a basemwnt/storage space that I'm trying to revamp. I'm open to adding plywood to do right job? What type of plywood can I use? 1/2 or 3/4 and any specific type? Im also open to flooring other than vinyl tile as long as it costs about the same and is washable. Im using area to store garden furniture mainly.
Thanks.

...what Rusty said.
Concrete emits moisture. Even if it's dry looking, it isn't because the moisture evaporates as soon as it gets to the surface. Once you cover the concrete, moisture will build up and the wood will get damp.
There are self leveling concrete mixes designed for the problem you have. Once mixed, they pour out like soup and harden rather quickly. You need a large mixing container and a high powered drill. Might not be a DIY job, but will make a better floor by far than plywood. Since this stuff pours almost like water, it will flow into adjacent rooms unless you create a dam in the doorway to contain it.
There are other, thicker cement based floor fillers that can be spread with a trowel of screed. Hard to tell without a photo or two of how bad the floor is.

Hi I have this floor https://www.dropbox.com/s/puppt3eh9odubbe/2017-01-20 16.35.32.jpg?dl=0
...as it's over uneven concrete. Its a basemwnt/storage space that I'm trying to revamp. I'm open to adding plywood to do right job? What type of plywood can I use? 1/2 or 3/4 and any specific type? Im also open to flooring other than vinyl tile as long as it costs about the same and is washable. Im using area to store garden furniture mainly.
Thanks.

If that's a link to a photo of your floor, I can't get it to load up.

Hi the floor was initially a dumping ground for left over concrete for previous owner hence I had to build up a wood floor as the level of the concrete was 5" higher on one side than the other. Given the expense of a new concrete floor is too costly and laborious for me I am just interested in adding a floor covering (see pic) that will work the best. I believe if I add plywood that should work. Its a basement level storage area 25x18 that I want to clean up and use for storing furniture. The area is dry so I expect minimal to no dampness
Thanks

floor.jpg

If that side remains open like the image shows, then moisture can travel out from under the wood, so much less of an issue. If you are planning to cover the entire floor, then some amount of moisture will build up under the floor. Not good. For storage, I'd just use sheet vinyl and loose lay it, meaning no adhesive.
A 1/2 inch layer of plywood on top of that OSB wouldn't hurt, especially if you plan to walk on it, and use it as a living space. Offset the plywood joints by at least 6".
So if it's just storage , ya might just loose lay a durable sheet vinyl over that OSB........... one that's designed for loose lay.
If it's a lived in space, then I'd think seriously about a moisture vapor retarder to seal the concrete......... I don't mean porch paint. A real moisture liming product designed for that purpose. They aren't cheap.

Last edited:
Like Highup says, I would use something like Flexitec. Can be loose laid and is DIY friendly.
...especially so if the material is installed directly over that T&G floor.
The T&G in the photo isn't tight together and if it wasn't installed directly over a joist so it could be nailed down, it will move. If filler is troweled over those joints it will crack out when the floor flexes. Most peel and stick products have poor adhesives on them. Personally, I'd rather have bare plywood than use peel and stick tile.

Latest posts

Back