Pet damage + mystery subfloors?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilly100

Hello! I’m in a bad situation. I bought a place as is with really terrible pet urine damage. Tore up the carpet & padding & the stench has sunk through. Problem is, I have NO IDEA what this subfloor is! It’s not wood.... it’s almost like a concrete type of material but it’s flaky & breaks apart when I pull the nails out. Online I see tons of info on how to deal with different types of wood or concrete subfloor... but I can’t figure out what this stuff is! 2nd floor condo built in the 80’s. Please HELP!! Thank you! Photos are attached!

Attachments

• A3A6C9DE-1B15-427F-8D05-E2622E90203E.jpeg
    A3A6C9DE-1B15-427F-8D05-E2622E90203E.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 9BB78E73-8E69-4649-8014-E08F967BE752.jpeg
    9BB78E73-8E69-4649-8014-E08F967BE752.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 8A016121-C455-499B-9108-30719A2D7549.jpeg
    8A016121-C455-499B-9108-30719A2D7549.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 197
It is more than likely gypcrete. A type of concrete mixed with gypsom. It is for sound deading. Whatever you do do not put bleach on the spots as it can cause a poisonous gas. As far as killing the oders the only thing I can think of is Killz the solvent based one. Someone else may have better ideas.

It is more than likely gypcrete. A type of concrete mixed with gypsom. It is for sound deading. Whatever you do do not put bleach on the spots as it can cause a poisonous gas. As far as killing the oders the only thing I can think of is Killz the solvent based one. Someone else may have better ideas.
Daris ! Thank you for the help! I would have used bleach! Do you think it’s possible to get the smell out of that type of subfloor or do I have to remove & replace? Thanks!

...and it's probably on the walls to, but those can be cleaned before painting with a stain sealer like Kilz or Zinzer. Tho it's smelly when applied, I prefer the oil based Kilz original. It's also made in latex form.
I'm betting most of the smell is within 2 feet out from the walls, so might not need to stink up the entire room or rooms. You probably will want to keep the windows open while using it.
Read the precautions on the can. If in doubt, you might try the latex version especially if there are concerns with smells drifting into your neighbors place.

Last edited:
...and it's probably on the walls to, but those can be cleaned before painting with a stain sealer like Kilz or Zinzer. Tho it's smelly when applied, I prefer the oil based Kilz original. It's also made in latex form.
I'm betting most of the smell is within 2 feet out from the walls, so might not need to stink up the entire room or rooms. You probably will want to keep the windows open while using it.
Read the precautions on the can. If in doubt, you might try the latex version especially if there are concerns with smells drifting into your neighbors place.
Thanks Highup!! Any feedback on cleaning with enzyme cleaners before?
How about tearing up linoleum? I’m guessing that the bathroom flooring (linoleum) has a gypcrete subfloor too.... can you suggest any products to loosen up the linoleum so we don’t make the gypcrete crumble and damaged? After doing a little research I do NOT want to replace the subfloor... sounds like a nightmare :( thank you!!

Yes one sheet. Very old, original flooring from the 80’s. It’s damaged as well, so unfortunately it’s going to need to come up :(
What do you think? Thanks for your help!!

1980's probably has asbestos in the paper backing. Any images of the damaged part of the flooring possible? Might be able to be repaired then layed over.
Being a condo especially, have to get abatement outfit involved to remove the vinyl.

My daughter has a dog that goes anywhere he likes. Her basement steps weere almost black cause everyt ime he came up the stepps he leakeed. Well any way She got a product take you just apply it and leave it alone. Carpet is almost to its original color. No oders. The product is called My Pet Pee. I guess that is what you google or what. Good for concrete as well.

Latest posts

Back