Please help ID this oak floor finish

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebforce

Hello Everyone,

We have recently purchased a home in the Northeast that has what looks to me as some type of waxed oak floors. I have not seen waxed floors for a very long time and I was wondering if provided pictures might be helpful to answer some of my questions. The house came with a fairly antique looking Regina brand floor polisher/buffer in a form of two rotating 6' brushes.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers on the following:

Is this is fact a waxed floor or otherwise?
What does one do to remedy minor scuffs ranging from surface sheen to indentations. I do not want to refinish this although I do not like how dark it is.
What type of maintenance is need with what materials/intervals? Paste wax? Linseed oil based products? What are some high quality products out there?

The house is exposed to high humidity and temperature variations.
Do I need professional maintenance or is this a simple DIY. I have used my grandfather’s floor buffer similar to this Regina thing about 30 years ago.
Does one wash this with say Bona wash or what else?

Thank You, Igor

IMG_20160508_150007350.jpg

IMG_20160508_150033830.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_20160508_145852395_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160508_145932910.jpg

Looks like my old Bruce floor. I use Briwax with pigment I get at Ace hardware. First I use the brush plate on my buffer to work it in, then throw a white pad to shine it up.

Easy smeasy.

Thanks for comments ts guys!

Yes, the floor in current state has no sheen at all and that is what makes it a bit challenging. That being said, would the prior owners have use a rotating brush buffer on an oiled floor?

Does the appearance of the finish and material in the grove give any indication of oil vs wax?
If I scrape one plank with a blade, should I be able to scrape up some wax like substance off the plank surface?

Thanks!

Try some drops of water to see if they make whitish spots. That floor just looks hungry for something. Wax will look dull like that. No one I know uses a brush with oil finish.

Latest posts

Back