Polyurethane drying time between coats?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markfothebeast

How long should I wait between poly coats when applying with a lambswool applicator? It goes on pretty thick. Last time I did this I waited 72 hours between coats.

Oil based poly has a window that you can apply additional coats without screening the floor. Usually 12 hours minimum to 24 hours max. The can/ container should tell you what your specific products window is. After that you can still apply more but you will have to somehow abrade the surface to get a proper bond.

Oil based poly has a window that you can apply additional coats without screening the floor. Usually 12 hours minimum to 24 hours max. The can/ container should tell you what your specific products window is. After that you can still apply more but you will have to somehow abrade the surface to get a proper bond.
I did read that on the bucket but I recall the poly feeling sticky within the specified time range where I was hesitant to walk on it. Is it usually sticky during that period or does it need to feel dry to the touch?

You gotta wait till it’s dry enough to get on but not so long that you’re outside the window. If you’re in one of those crazy places that has humidity, you may have to adjust the timing.

If you’re in one of those crazy places that has humidity, you may have to adjust the timing.
There is the crux with asking the question. There is no time allotment for when is the right time. It is all based on humidity, temperature and airflow. Then there comes the how thick it was applied, how porous the material accepting it is, well you get the idea by now.

I imagine there's all types of variables to determine if you can quickly put on a second coat. I just don't have the experience to determine when that time frame is. I'll just have to wait it out.

Latest posts

Back