Popping

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmcg4

I started to instal 1/2” x 7 1/2” engineered hardwood with an eco quiet underpayment using staples. I started to hear some popping as I walk. I know this could happen with glue and hollow spots but staples?? Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you John

I don't personally install any solid wood or engineered wood that is stapled down but I do know that staples do not hold nearly as well in OSB as they do in plywood.
One other thing to take note of. Whether it's wood floors engineered wood floors or lock together laminate floors, all of these are required to have an extremely flat surface to go over. Usually is as small as 3/16 of an inch in every 6 to 10 feet. Floor is not flat then the wood can move up and down. It takes very little movement of your new wood flooring to make a staple or a nail make a popping sound when the floor flexes. Be sure that your floor is very very flat with no dips and no high spots. Not much you can do with the flooring was already down but check the rest of the floor for flatness.
Since the OSB does not hold Staples as well as plywood, you may just need to add more staples. Be sure the staple gauge and length are correct for the thickness of your flooring also.

Thank you for the input.
Do you think adding a layer of 1/4”-1/2” plywood would be a wise addition? Something for the staples to hold to.

I couldn't say how much it would help........ I know 1/4" would be a waste of time. It probably costs almost as much as 1/2". You might be running into height issues with 1/2" plus the new flooring. Maybe not.
Have you checked the flooring for flatness?
........just a thought. Is this a single layer floor, like 3/4" tongue and groove OSB? If it is, I'm not sure if that's enough thickness especially being OSB. Some OSBs are better than others....... smoother and more sense.
OSB seams, if they are T&G, they are often puffed up, making a bump every 4 feet.
At the very least, take a 6 foot level or angle iron or angle aluminum, anything extremely flat, and check the floor for flatness everywhere, and especially the seams.

Last edited:
When I put down 9x72 Coretec last year, I couldn’t get the dip pp 1/2 inch out of the center of the room. Solution? I put a 300 lb couch there. Eventually the floor will develop a memory and will conform to the underlayment. At least that’s what I’m hoping.

My subfloor is not very flat. I'm attempting to put in hardwood floors. Sure hope I don't have this issue. I used floor leveling compound all over the place. House foundation is off kilter.

Latest posts

Back