Pre installation checklist

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.J.

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro

With all the experience and knowledge on this forum, what are some essential things that should be on an installers pre installation checklist? If you were a manager of a company that was tasked with writing up a pre installation checklist what would it look like? In fact this is a great opportunity to put the knowledge out there for others to use and better the industry and installation experience for all. What are some common problems that could be avoided if your shop had a pre installation checklist? Important things that need to be documented? Doesn’t matter how simple or stupid because if there is a problem then it’s no longer simple or stupid.

What say ye. Let the knowledge fly.

With all the experience and knowledge on this forum, what are some essential things that should be on an installers pre installation checklist? If you were a manager of a company that was tasked with writing up a pre installation checklist what would it look like? In fact this is a great opportunity to put the knowledge out there for others to use and better the industry and installation experience for all. What are some common problems that could be avoided if your shop had a pre installation checklist? Important things that need to be documented? Doesn’t matter how simple or stupid because if there is a problem then it’s no longer simple or stupid.

What say ye. Let the knowledge fly.

How much you plan on paying me?

My pre installation check list is this....

are they an ass hole?
is your house a shit hole?
no and no, im good to go.

If the vehicle in the driveway looks like it's worth more than the job... I got collateral :)

Went into a house in the country once to lay carpet around 4 waterbeds. Dog shit everywhere. Layed pad and carpet over it. Some of the shit was so old it had turned white. I figured the smell did not bother them. Never got a complaint. Check list, don't clean up anything you don't have to clean up.

I don't do a pre-installation checklist. I could tell you exactly what was on my van at all times.

But you’re retired. They aren’t making installers like you anymore. They’re dumb and need to be taught.

I picked up my paperwork yesterday for today’s job. Called the customer last night and introduced myself, confirmed the address and told the customer I would be arriving at 8 AM. This morning I show up and exchange pleasantries. We go over a game plan for the installation, confirm what rooms I’m doing, stopping points, plank direction, time frame for completion and answer any questions the customer may have before I get started doing my rip n haul. Warehouse guy shows up couple hours later and we start unloading product. I open a box and pull out a few planks to confirm it’s the correct product. Then we pack all the material inside and stage it where I’ve already done some rip n haul and will be a place that will be installed towards the end of the job. No need to move product twice. Then I confirm the carton count with my paperwork as well as transition and 1/4 round count.

A lot of you guys already have this checklist in your head and mentally run down the list. I like the idea of having an actual list for someone to go down. How else are the dummies ever gonna learn. Gotta create good habits for them to follow. Kinda like the police reading you your Miranda rights. You know they’ve read them a thousand times but a lot of them still pull out their card and read them word for word every single time anyway.

Latest posts

Back