Prepping old linoleum for vinyl plank

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

We are going to DIY install Pergo plank flooring over an existing linoleum floor. The linoleum is 27 years old. There are spots on the floor where the linoleum has been worn or torn, and the concrete subfloor shows through. We would like to avoid removing all the linoleum. What may I use to "patch" those bare spots and make them even with the rest of the old flooring? Also, we would like to install the new Pergo in the space beneath the oven (In the two houses I've owned, that part of the floor was left as bare concrete). What can I lay down to make that space even with the rest of the floor (plywood or scrap lineoleum, maybe)?

Use a cementious based floor filler, not gypsum based. Put it on with a wide putty knife. When it dries, if the floor is flat, and clean, you are ready to go. Just remember, the floor needs to be flat but does not have to be level.

Use a cementious based floor filler, not gypsum based. Put it on with a wide putty knife. When it dries, if the floor is flat, and clean, you are ready to go. Just remember, the floor needs to be flat but does not have to be level.
Thanks! Is that something that comes ready to spread, like in a plastic tub? Or is it something I'd have to add water and mix?

If those damaged areas are curled upwards, use a utility knife to carve out a little more material so the edges of the vinyl are flat instead of curled.

Follow-up question: As I stated previously, we are installing Pergo Outlast over existing linoleum. There are two thresholds included in this job (one leading to the pantry, the other to the living room) where I'll have to place a T-Moulding. The subfloor is concrete, so I won't be screwing the track down. Will I be gluing it down, then? And what type/brand of glue would be best?

Latest posts

Back