Problem lacing in hardwood flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wjo1000

I am lacing in 3/4 hardwood flooring. The wood has been inside for a week or so. Some of the pieces do not want to fit in where I removed the older existing boards. It almost looks like their is a 32nd that is making it not possible to tap in between two existing boards. Very puzzled.

Attachments

• 41D3D742-712F-47F6-AF81-2EBA2FA58176.jpeg
    41D3D742-712F-47F6-AF81-2EBA2FA58176.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 148
What is the moisture content (MC) of the wood you are installing compared to what is currently installed? Those need to be close to each other, either within 2% or 4% depending on whether they are wide plank or not. Time doesn’t matter, MC does.

If the new boards are within an acceptable MC of the existing then you can adjust the boards to fit by ripping off a 32nd? On your table saw. Prolly have to modify the tongue or groove for a good fit if those are too tight. If you still have a tight fit you can soap or wax the boards to help them slide in.

How many pieces? Did you see the guy who used a chipping hammer with a modified bit to take out pieces? A pro hardwood guy would make one to put them back, as long as it doesn’t start binding too bad I’d hate to get half way and it not slide any further.

How many pieces? Did you see the guy who used a chipping hammer with a modified bit to take out pieces? A pro hardwood guy would make one to put them back, as long as it doesn’t start binding too bad I’d hate to get half way and it not slide any further.
This is just going to move an existing board and make the adjacent board even more out of whack.

What is the moisture content (MC) of the wood you are installing compared to what is currently installed? Those need to be close to each other, either within 2% or 4% depending on whether they are wide plank or not. Time doesn’t matter, MC does.

If the new boards are within an acceptable MC of the existing then you can adjust the boards to fit by ripping off a 32nd? On your table saw. Prolly have to modify the tongue or groove for a good fit if those are too tight. If you still have a tight fit you can soap or wax the boards to help them slide in.
Thank you for the reply...I guess I will need a moisture meter.

This is just going to move an existing board and make the adjacent board even more out of whack.
Thanks for your reply...I am lacing a floor in and removed several boards...pic attached
Is this in an occupied space? It's possible one or both the flooring and the floor have gained some moisture. Only one way to be for sure.

What is the board measurement and space measurement? Get serious here. Use calipers. 6 in. Digital Caliper or https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A-Electronic-Digital-Stainless/dp/B000GSLKIW if you don't already have.
I actually DID think of calipers, I had several, think they are in Florida I’m in CT lol...guess I need to buy another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 118
Probably a really dumb question but it is from the same stock?? If not, then they might never be exact. That machinery is not NASA approved and it is not uncommon to have minor milling corrections/mistakes along the way from run to run. If it is from the same stock then ignore me and listen to the lads above me.

Tough question to answer...yes and no...we were left 3+ boxes when our condo was purchased last year. We just bought 2 additional boxes. No clue how many YEARS ago...lol.. the original was purchased...BUT it seems the existing wood we had still will not fit.

I’m thinking to get a router table with a bit for the groove just to take a tad off. I tried the table saw and didn’t really like the results

Wood grows and shrinks as it’s MC changes. No point in modifying the boards to fit if they’re just gonna shrink a month after you install them cus then you’ll be posting about how to fill the gaps. Now if your MC is good then a table saw with a sharp blade is your best bet. A router will help to make the groove fit after any modifications. I think you’re on the right track so check your MC and do what you do.

Wood grows and shrinks as it’s MC changes. No point in modifying the boards to fit if they’re just gonna shrink a month after you install them cus then you’ll be posting about how to fill the gaps. Now if your MC is good then a table saw with a sharp blade is your best bet. A router will help to make the groove fit after any modifications. I think you’re on the right track so check your MC and do what you do.
Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back