Problem old laminate floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllenEL

This floor likely 18 years old, in so called English basement on a cement slab. I do not know when separation started we have been living in this house since Feb and it was present but is increasing. Now with weather change part of floor near doorway is bucking? Or getting warped...
I am not ready to put new floor there and am not aware about any water leaks. Is there easy way to fix it?
My most concern why is it happening in a first place?
Aka what my problems will be when I get around to putting new floors? Rest of a room is reasonable.

Attachments

• 20211126_095435.jpg
    20211126_095435.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211126_095417.jpg
    20211126_095417.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 79
Moisture underneath? HVAC drying air out above? Both? One thing I would do is to inspect the outside of your house. What’s the drainage like. Gutter downspouts directed far enough away from the foundation. Is the ground properly sloped and graded away from the foundation.

Next would be to pull up the floor, whenever that day comes, and see what’s going on inside the house.

Looks like an inexpensive laminate in the first place. Toss in some moisture and viola, failure.
I would consider getting rid of it and just having concrete floors.

It does not look like there were water in a basement, like ever but obviously I do not know.
The area is graded and all spouts are away from house. I am not sure how properly but looks ok to my eye.
I really want to put cork underlayment and cork floor there one because I like the look and two because cement slab is conducting too much cold and I hate carpets.

There's moisture in the concrete slab itself. That's what's causing your problem. I can tell by the way your current floor is cupping on every plank.
Just for kicks, try to find a spot you can see through. There SHOULD be a sheet of plastic called a vapor barrier between the concrete and the laminate. I would bet dollars to donuts there isn't one there. Had there been one down there's a very good chance that floor would have looked as if it was installed yesterday.
The bad news is that what you have down now is dumpster food.
The good news is with all the products on the market now your next one won't (if done correctly) have the issues that one does.

If cork is what you want then just make sure you or whoever you hire installs it correctly. Testing concrete for moisture is an industry standard!

Looking at concrete floor and English basement type, aka I have windows at the ground and walkout door am looking at products that would help me to keep my floors warmer and less prone to chill.
It looks like Dricore insul armor possibly fits the bill?
Concrete floors are just too cold to be left as is.
I am also wondering if my garden which I moved from old house/extensive/ and my watering needs possibly interfering with moisture coming into house walls.
I still like my cork option.
Any tips on using insul armor?

Latest posts

Back